• You are not logged in.

Worn out nubs

• Started by pinkyache
    • 6 Replies:

My 'f' key (under Qwerty) is totally smooth now.  It's 'u' under Dvorak.

Hard to believe that you can wear out a key like that.  It's to the point that you'd never have known there ever was a nub!

Right nub still there to help me home.

Yes this is a boring story.  If you are unlucky I'll photograph my nubs, or lack of.

Last edited by pinkyache (26-Apr-2020 11:12:43)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Maybe you've inadvertently found the one thing that's good about Qwerty - by having the nubs on fairly rare keys, they don't wear down quickly. Presumably nubs on T and N would become smooth in short order.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Most nubs don't wear down, no. Maybe you're using them differently from many other, I don't know. But if you miss your left hand nub, there have been a few suggestions here through the years. One is a dab of glue on the homing position. Never tried that one myself. The ones I've used is simply scratching the key a little (won't make a bump but it'll still be tactile enough) and carefully raising a slight ridge in the key's surface with a soldering iron (worked fine, but do not blame me if something gets borked!).

Last edited by DreymaR (27-Apr-2020 10:04:18)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

pinkyache said:

My 'f' key (under Qwerty) is totally smooth now.  It's 'u' under Dvorak.

Hard to believe that you can wear out a key like that.  It's to the point that you'd never have known there ever was a nub!

Right nub still there to help me home.

Yes this is a boring story.  If you are unlucky I'll photograph my nubs, or lack of.

I for one would like to see a photo!

Of course, it should've been I not U under Dvorak!  ( ಸ‿ಸ)ಽ

DreymaR said:

Of course, it should've been I not U under Dvorak!  ( ಸ‿ಸ)ಽ

My Nub is under the U (Qwerty F) and H (Qwerty J).

This was the keyboard I practised on (the accompanying attachment here).  So may explain the wear.

(Just tried a quick typing test on that old keyboard and hit 80wpm - strangely familiar!  I must have typed out all of  Alice Adventures, and lots and lots on that board.)

It's the right nub on this board.  I'm now thinking my Thinkpad never had key nubs just the mandatory nipple.

Last edited by pinkyache (14-Feb-2021 01:57:02)
    Attachments:

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

As I got used to the Wide mod, I eventually realized that I don't feel dependent on homing nubs anymore. I just go by the geometry of the board now, I guess. Maybe I still feel that little scratch on my right hand homing key, I'm not sure.

Last edited by DreymaR (15-Feb-2021 09:52:43)