• You are not logged in.

Help Installing Colemak-DHm

• Started by MaxU
    • 4 Replies:

Hello all, I've been trying to install Colemak Mod-DHm for quite some time, but nothing seems to work. I've tried DreymaR's EPKL(although I didn't understand a thing), as well as this page (https://github.com/ColemakMods/mod-dh/t … 30bc405831), but in both cases regular Colemak is installed. The linked page even says DHm is the default, but the GH keys are instead changed to DH, not DM. I'm trying to get the keyboard called "Colemak-DHm" on colemak.academy.
    I've also checked out just about every topic related to DHm installation on here and so far none have resolved my issue.

I am using Windows 10 64-bit.

I'm a total computer newb, so any help is appreciated. Tysm!

Well unfortunately, Colemak Academy's implementation of Colemak-DH (=DHm) is incorrect. You definitely shouldn't be getting D and H in the middle if you are using the files in the Downloads page you linked to - perhaps you have installed it but still have vanilla Colemak selected as your layout? You should be having G and M in the middle, as shown here.

There are a number of different methods to change your layout - including DreymaR's EPKL, which also supports Colemak-DH correctly and is worth learning if you want a configurable and comprehensive solution.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

I'm sorry EPKL is giving you a hard time. For support, I suggest you join the Colemak Discord where there are many helpful souls who answer quickly and fluidly.

Firstly, yes – DHm is the default Colemak-DH since Oct 2020. In EPKL you'll also see the DH mod described as "CurlAngle" which is a geometric description. Now, I'm not sure what variant you've looked at but unless you have a matrix keyboard (all key rows directly above each other) you should use an Angle mod with DH. Please trust me on that, or take it up on the Discord to have it explained for you. I think there are quite good explanations in the BigBag too, but you may disagree...  (ʘ_ʘ;)

To select the right Angle mod for you, you need to know what your keyboard type is. If you're from the US it's a fairly safe bet it's an ANSI board. The Angle mod for ANSI will move your Z into the middle of the row, but that's a very minor hassle to achieve a good wrist angle and proper fingering. Look at the colored help images to see where each finger goes.

Use the Layouts/Settings panel from EPKL's tray menu. If you're having trouble finding anything, reread the EPKL readme.

In EPKL, find the Settings tab and set the img_HideStates to '--' to always show the help image, or '0' to show it only when the Shift key is down.

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Mar-2021 11:38:25)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thank you very much for the detailed reply! I will try to get connected to the discord and ask there as well. Also, thank you so much for the save regarding the angle mod, I will do that! (My keyboard is ANSI)

I have followed your instructions, but am getting an error message. I took a screenshot of each step so you can see what is going on. I also searched google for the error code, but could not find anything.
    https://ibb.co/hmcdyc6
    https://ibb.co/6yQLqwp
    https://ibb.co/fkJPpNd

Also, is there any way to stop the small keyboard from appearing whenever I hit the shift key?

Thanks so much again for all your help!

For the file error, get the latest commit of EPKL (not the release). There was a bug that should be fixed now. Or, for a quick fix, just create a file named EPKL_Layouts_Override.ini with the string [pkl] in it like in the Example file, and it should be fine too.

In my previous post I described how to make the help image appear when you hit Shift. If you don't want it to show in the Shift state, use 0,1 as img_HideStates.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***