• You are not logged in.

I need urgent help so i can use colemak asap

• Started by Shiv
    • 2 Replies:

Hello everyone.[English is not my first language i appologize for errors beforehand and appericiate your patience]
    tldr; I am confused and need a "good" "advice" on which colemak to learn.HOW TO INSTALL AND USE COLEMAK AND MODS EFFECTIVELY
    i want to learn colemak but cant because of so many colemak options.
    i have an ansi keyboard if i am right this one from dell
    i can't buy any of the fancy otholinear / mecahnical stuff keyboard and will keep on using it.
    Now with this thing in mind, i want to learn
    1.touch typing with colemak
    2. i will start learning programming in a few months [and my goal is to remember all the keys along with normal speed]
    3. use a keyboart layout which will help me in programming i.e symbols at appropriate positions and any programming specific "mods"
    MAIN ISSUE
    1.there are 3 mods curl angle and wide and 2 layouts i NEED GUIDANCE ON WHICH TO USE
    2.INSTALLATION of colemak on linux and windows
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So basically i liked the concept of wide mod and really like it then since i heard good reviews of colemak dh i think i want to start with dh. now i heard that dh is basically curl+angle inbuilt or some stuff i am confused where to start with, AND MAIN problem, IF i learn wide mod then how will i use it on other computers?since i need it for programming and there will chances i might have to operate diff computers and installing it wont be practical?
    SO can someone advice me HOW TO INSTALL AND USE COLEMAK AND MODS EFFECTIVELY .
    Please guide me based on your experience should i start with mod dh and sacrefice other mods or should i learn vanila colemak for others and all mods for myself?
    NOW I WOULD LIKE TO THANK DREYMAR because his guide taught me many things and i'm confused.
    I'm cursed by your knowledge dreymar.
    Anyways thank you.
    P.S: Based on my communication skills if you can recommend me some free and quality resource which doesn't  require too much effort to improve my English it would be great,

Last edited by Shiv (19-Mar-2021 07:29:33)

Hello Shiv,

I would start by downloading the portable version of the layout here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile … _id=264387

Run the program and your keyboard layout will automatically change. No need to install.

I would start with the basic Colemak (often referred to as vanilla) version.

As for programming and symbol location, I think the standard Colemak layout will be sufficient. I develop software professionally and it works just fine.

Hope this helps.

I would not recommend using the outdated PKL program, but hope you'll consider EPKL instead!

( のvの) c[_] ~(  See the EPKL repo on GitHub  )
      https://github.com/DreymaR/BigBagKbdTrixPKL

Last edited by DreymaR (20-Mar-2021 17:05:44)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***