• You are not logged in.

How to press space bar properly

• Started by yurnero
    • 4 Replies:

I want to use both hands to press spacebar(not simultaneously, of course :) ) to type comfortably, and I've read that some people switch thumbs every spacebar press while the others use hand that they weren't typing last letter with. The first technique seems much easier to me while the other seems to be superior at every way if you manage achieving needed muscle memory. So the question is: does it work the way I described?

P.S. I'm currently at about 60wpm average at typeracer, want to score over 100wpm average :)

Last edited by yurnero (28-Feb-2021 02:14:31)

I don't agree with the alternating thumbs idea.

By far the the best solution is to get a keyboard with a split spacebar, then you can use each thumb for a different purpose. I especially recommend having Shift as a thumb key, it's about a million times better than the standard shift keys (possibly an exaggeration - but not by much!)

Last edited by stevep99 (28-Feb-2021 11:55:03)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

stevep99 said:

I don't agree with the alternating thumbs idea.

By far the the best solution is to get a keyboard with a split spacebar, then you can use each thumb for a different purpose. I especially recommend having Shift as a thumb key, it's about a million times better than the standard shift keys (possibly an exaggeration - but not by much!)

I wasn't thinking a lot about it, so I recently bought mechanical keyboard with the default layout. I wish I could go back in time, but I can't sadly. I wonder what's the best option without buying new keyboard.

I remember asking something like this on the discord back when I first started out.

Like Steve suggested, I would not recommend alternating thumbs. In fact the I'm not even sure that alternating your thumbs even would improve your speed (especially on a layout like Colemak). Best thing is to stick with one thumb (generally the thumb on your dominant hand) and be fast at it.

Colemak DHk
    130-150wpm for easy words, 110-130wpm for sentences!

On a standard non-split keyboard, I'd recommend the Wide Mod. This brings into play the RightAlt (AltGr) key as a viable thumb key. What I used to do, when I still had a standard board, was set RAlt to Shift, and type it with my Right Thumb, and type space with left thumb. Two comfortable thumb keys achieved on a standard board.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.