• You are not logged in.

Colemak-DH + b/v swap

• Started by bombdiggity
    • 7 Replies:

Has anyone played with this?

This makes a lot more sense to me than 'Vanilla' DH, at least on a matrix keyboard: B is in a better position than V, and it means there are fewer changes from vanilla colemak.

I don't see how moving V up instead of B consitutes fewer changes? One reason it hasn't been done is that leaving V alone conserves the Ctrl+V shortcut. From a pure typing efficiency standpoint I don't think it matters a lot.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

fewer changes _from_ vanilla colemak. Instead of moving D to V, B to G, V to B and G to D, you just do V to G, G to D, and D to V.

You lose Ctrl-V but you regain Ctrl-b

It depends what you mean by "change". A matrix board has already has the bottom row keys in different positions from a traditional board, relative to the home position.

In Colemak, Z X C V B all move ½u to the left.
    In "vanilla" DH, Z X C move ½u to the left, V moves ½u to the right, B changes rows
    In your proposal, Z X C still move ½u key to the left, B moves ½u key to the right left, V changes rows.

So it's not really fewer changes IMO.

Last edited by stevep99 (26-Mar-2021 14:17:34)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

that's not really correct but whatever (I am not comparing to DH, but to colemak).

Anyway, I was just asking if it's been talked about before. I am liking it quite a lot. It makes it obvious how often I hit V, since that's the most awkward change, it makes the more common letters and it scores better on the analyzer, especially when I tweak effort values for my own opinion (where index stretch inward is more effortful)

How does it hold up in analysis on ortho vs row-staggered boards? SteveP?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DH iso std  1.73528
    DH iso b/v 1.73318
    DH matrix std 1.72621
    DH matrix b/v 1.72526

B and V are both fairly rare, but B being a bit more common, it does improve the score slightly by swapping B/V. But the corpus is obviously based on typing text  and doesn't take into account X/C/V shortcuts etc. I don't think it's a worthwhile swap personally, but if bombdiggity is happy with it then all to the good!

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

The shortcut doesn't bother me, but I sure notice how many command line utilities I use (e.g. vim) that use 'v'!

I might switch it back, but I must say that in general I like the DH mod a lot, I just now need to rewrite 5 years of muscle memory.