• You are not logged in.

I've been at this about a week

• Started by Kabit
    • 5 Replies:

I decided to take the tarmak method and I'm at colemak now. I skipped tarmak 4 because I felt the changes from 3 to 4 would be counterproductive to me.

I'm solidly at 22 wpm until I get tired but i expect it to go up quickly. I'm natural for some words then a few of the recent changes break that flow but I suppose that's expected. Getting tired and shifting into half colemak half qwerty is the worst part. I am working on being able to code switch between ortholinear colemak and staggered qwerty. I don't want to totally ruin my ability to use laptops.

My keyboard is a keebio Iris and I'm planning a build of a Kyria. Layers are a work in progress with an emphasis on programming:
    https://github.com/KabitTarah/qmk_firmw … bit_tarmak

I think moving quickly (upgrading after hitting 30 wpm at each level) over a week was helped by my being stubborn and not going back to qwerty all week (except for the engineering meeting I run and take notes for). Immediately jumping to full time forced me to progress. It was also pretty frustrating, especially toward the end of the day.

I'm not planning to do any mods at this time. Iris is column staggered and Kyria even more so

Last edited by Kabit (10-Apr-2021 06:15:55)

Welcome! Sounds like you have a great journey ahead of you.

For layer ideas, I hope you've studied Extend? I really find its chording invaluable. I also use tap-Extend a lot these days, sequencing is very powerful and versatile.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

QWERTY PB (of two runs before starting this)
    ACtC-3fsOEKb5-C00HUaj29HYur_gtVIbG6_gCSMM2f7e0XpTzb6GwXGihBbf-aVwPu2r90Fvld-Uzp92GLsepvqFr2EkLd1iedkpQ5l1Lemc_GyKdwxjol24fKq1FHWLVnoXcSFN3KPdrTUl267RW_PJE9FIw=w805-h345-no?authuser=0

Colemak PB (a few hundred runs)
    ACtC-3cdU140VbSQnfERy0lS5o-B9rsNvxY5LqbJ3FIrNkE4Ll_5Evh6EHU4-4urKm867yWiFdKUo_LlJNsi2NIVcmcmlr3Je2y9hiZONTxOx-OOUnXHo6nMTMLfP7ASMeIWn_hgcfsheQ9v4mrVyQ0k_XoYsQ=w1620-h751-no?authuser=0

Extend looks interesting, but I haven't used it. I don't mind moving my fingers for navigation, but it could be useful to learn homerow layers especially for brackets. I'm trying to get to usability first and move to Kyria, which will probably become my main keyboard. The thumb clusters look better than Iris for mod layer access

Now it's been a bit longer (using Colemak every work day) I'm consistently at 43 wpm on Monkeytype (1k, 60s) and my best is 48 wpm. I am getting faster. It's hardest when I seem to get stuck between qwerty and colemak, but that only happens for a few keys usually (especially Y)

Glad you're enjoying it! Go you!  ♪♫ (*ノ・◡・)ノ ♫♩ ┏(・o・*)┛ ♫♪

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***