• You are not logged in.

Shai's Colemak mod

• Started by Shai
  • 62 Replies:

I'm just curious to see if I can develop a feel for how it goes. This kind of modding is so rampant at the Discord these days. As for your arguments:
• Swapping 2 more keys at this point, and even having them change hands, doesn't matter much. This topic is about doing just those things, for a possible minor benefit.
• Moving V is something I've been concerned about a lot since you made the DH mod in 2014, as you know. At first I tried to avoid splitting up ZXCV but eventually I gave that up. Now, this creates trouble for me using Extend since I decided to keep the Extend-Paste mapping on the V key which causes more work for me as I then have to implement Extend both with and without the D-V (B-V) swap. Now with the V-K swap, V goes all the way to the other hand and I'm trying to keep the Extend-Paste mapping next to Extend-Copy again. This is every bit as annoying for me as the letter swap itself right now! But maybe I'll end up using it. I just felt it'd be too strange with the Extend-Paste and V itself on neighboring keys, and now that's no issue anymore.
• I'm not enjoying it so far. The KN bigram used to flow so nicely with alt-fingering, it's worse now. Heh. Overall, it feels awkward. But I know those are beginner misgivings.

[Update: Ditched it. The swap fixes two problems I didn't have since I alt-finger (NK and LK), and causes trouble with CK and VE bigrams – possibly others too. These aren't SFBs nor weak-finger near-finger-bigrams, so the Colemakmods analyzer doesn't pick up on them. But they felt awkward just the same. This swap isn't as beneficial as it first appeared to the naïve observer (me).]

Last edited by DreymaR (03-May-2021 18:30:23)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

triple_a said:

I started using this one and liking it.
Anyone else ?

QWFDG JLUY'
ARSTP MNEIO;
ZXCVB KH,./

I've been using this on my ortholinear preonic keyboard since ~mid-Jan and I am really digging it. Switched from vanilla Colemak. I really do think it is the best of both worlds: less center column usage, the goal of mod-dh (and workman etc), while still staying true to the Colemak philosophy of keeping row 4 shortcuts in the same place.

What are some of the downsides people have noticed with it compared to Colemak-DH? I know there are a ton of mods such as the angle mod for iso keyboards etc but for the sake of simplicity let's limit to grid/matrix/ortholinear/columnar keyboards only.

The reasoning that this mod (Mod-Shai?) assigns the rare 'V' to one of the best positions on the board (just like vanilla Colemak!) does not make sense to me. Maybe one can say that about a layout that has been designed from scratch such as carpalx, but Colemak had very specific design goals such as improving home row usage while retaining row 4 shortcuts and punctuation/special characters from QWERTY.

Last edited by socraticsteely (04-May-2021 04:17:50)

Thank you so much Shai for sharing these mods with the community! I initially tried vanilla Colemak and then Mod-DH but it really wasn't until these mods that Colemak finally "clicked" (pun intended :) ) for me. I started using the first mod ("Shai1") as my daily layout and have made some small changes that I wanted to share (note that they don't preserve ZXCVB).

I was finding the left index finger stretch to G effortful so the first change I made was swapping G and V to yield:

QWFDV JLUY'
ARSTP MNEIO;
ZXCGB KH,./

This provided a nice "finger symmetry" feeling when typing the GH bigram. As I typed with that layout more I still found the left index stretch to V effortful so I swapped the less common Z with the more common V to yield:

QWFDZ JLUY'
ARSTP MNEIO;
VXCGB KH,./

Though this introduces an AV same finger bigram it makes typing V far easier and feels worth it to me. The Mod-DH keyboard analysis tool gives the first changed layout (using traditional configuration) a same finger frequency of 1.67% and total score of 1.78 while the second received same finger frequency of 2.00% and a total score of 1.798 so I don't *think* there is anything obviously poor in their design and just wanted to share these changes in case they were helpful to anyone else exploring Shai's mods.

Looks to me as if you're cherry-picking bigrams, which is a common but dangerous feature in DIY modding? Maybe I'm mistaken.

A SFB% of 2.0 is considered very high today. I'd definitely try to do better than that. In today's modding scene, I'd say that anything with a higher SFB% than Colemak is automatically considered bad. I don't know if the layout designers on the Alt-Layouts Discord may be overly concerned with SFB, but there you have it. The faster typists are, the more they seem to value a low SFB%, with a few exceptions.

You may want to look up the ColemaQ/Colemak-QI crowd and discuss with them as well, as your variants seem to have features in common with theirs?

https://github.com/DreymaR/BigBagKbdTri … /Cmk-Qmods

Last edited by DreymaR (20-Aug-2021 11:32:00)

Thank you DreymaR for reading my post and providing your thoughtful guidance. I really appreciate it. It is good to know that a SFB% of 2 or more is considered high and I checked out the "Q Crew" website (https://colemaq.github.io/) which gave me some further optimization ideas to explore.

I just thought I would clarify, my intention at the start wasn't to cherry-pick bigrams (though that is an excellent phrase that makes me smile :) ). I was just trying to reduce some strain I felt and happily stumbled on the smoothness of the GH bigram with that particular variant. All the best.

Yeah, I'm not saying that you set out to cherry-pick anything! It's just so tempting when modding by hand.   ̄(=⌒ᆺ⌒=) ̄

Myself, I feel that the Q gang are a bit prone to subjective opinions on the quality of mods. Consequently, I don't quite trust their results as you may have seen in my writeup in the EPKL Q-Mods Readme. But I'm no analysis expert, I just have spent a lot of time using and adding to Colemak and talking to people.

socraticsteely said:
QWFDG JLUY'
ARSTP MNEIO;
ZXCVB KH,./

I've been using this on my ortholinear preonic keyboard since ~mid-Jan and I am really digging it. Switched from vanilla Colemak. I really do think it is the best of both worlds: less center column usage, the goal of mod-dh (and workman etc), while still staying true to the Colemak philosophy of keeping row 4 shortcuts in the same place.

What are some of the downsides people have noticed with it compared to Colemak-DH? I know there are a ton of mods such as the angle mod for iso keyboards etc but for the sake of simplicity let's limit to grid/matrix/ortholinear/columnar keyboards only.

I don't see any downsides compared to DH, it's just a preference. Some might argue about the index finger or middle finger usage while pressing 'C' location on qwerty. I don't mind.

I had used Shai's mod for a while and settled on using the Vanilla version for the left side of the layout as I enjoy 'd' being on the home row. Swapping 'm' and 'h' actually makes sense because of heavily used punctuation marks, stretching to 'h' sometimes becomes a problem. Can't argue with that. Hence, the swap between ' and ; is also necessary in my opinion compared to Vanilla.
This is currenty the most comfortable I'm typing with on Monkeytype.com (quote, medium).
I call it Colemak-H

QWFPG JLUY'
ARSTD MNEIO;
ZXCVB KH,./
Last edited by triple_a (02-Sep-2021 14:57:24)

Yes, Colemak-H would be a good name for it. Glad to see you also symbol modded the apostrophe; did you also mod the hyphen to a better place?

The wrong-way stagger on standard keyboards is still a problem though. I'd suggest considering a pure Angle mod unless you're on an ortho board?

Would it make sense to swap M and K for non-ortho keyboards? Bottom row a lot less of a stretch, at least for my index finger.

• Shai
  • Administrator
deagle said:

Would it make sense to swap M and K for non-ortho keyboards? Bottom row a lot less of a stretch, at least for my index finger.

Might make some words more awkward to type by jumping between the top and bottom rows, e.g.: I'm, my. Also stretches on the home row, e.g. OK might be less comfortable.

Shai said:
deagle said:

Might make some words more awkward to type by jumping between the top and bottom rows, e.g.: I'm, my. Also stretches on the home row, e.g. OK might be less comfortable.

I see, thanks for the info.

How should I optimally change the staggered layout to put D in the qwerty V position? V in the qwerty B position would be a nice to have. I type 'cd' in the terminal many times a day and I'd like it to flow well. I'm not sure of the cascade effects of moving D down. Would you modify the matrix version or the staggered? How does this look?

QWFGB JLUY'
ARSTP MNEIO;
ZXCDV KH,./
angle version

QWFGB JLUY'
ARSTP MNEIO;
XCDVZ KH,./
Last edited by deagle (07-Jan-2022 20:22:25)
deagle said:

How should I optimally change the staggered layout to put D in the qwerty V position? [...] How does this look?

QWFGB JLUY'
ARSTP MNEIO;
ZXCDV KH,./

That's just one G-P swap away from Colemak-DH (with half a Sym mod)! And I don't think that swap does you any good so why not use Colemak-CA(W)S at this point?

On a side note, I think it's a bad idea to show the Angle mod on a matrix graphic, as the Angle mod is for row-staggered layouts only. You probably have the right idea, but it'll confuse newcomers if you do that.

Colemak-CurlAngleWideSym on an ANSI board:
----------------------------------------------------
1   2   3   4   5   6   \   7   8   9   0   =
  Q   W   F   P   B   [   J   L   U   Y   '   -   ;         Cmk-CAWS-ANSI
   A   R   S   T   G   ]   M   N   E   I   O     
     X   C   D   V   Z   /   K   H   ,   .
----------------------------------------------------
Last edited by DreymaR (10-Jan-2022 13:17:34)