• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Help on EPKL for Backspace and Shift using Thumb

Help on EPKL for Backspace and Shift using Thumb

• Started by Jhoravi
    • 5 Replies:

Hi, I've been training Colemak for almost 3 months using an external mechanical keyboard with thumb for shift and backspace. I decided to transfer my skill to my laptop keyboard using EPKL and successfully set the wide angle curl mod. My only problem is thumb keys for shift and backspace that I got comfortable from mechanical keyboard. Here are the keys I need configured for my laptop keyboard.

tap the right ALT      =   BackSpace
    hold the right ALT    =   SHIFT

Thanks in advance for the help

Last edited by Jhoravi (09-Oct-2021 07:24:53)

EPKL can't do those, unless you're a very skilled programmer (in which case I'd like to cooperate with you on it).

For Backspace, I use Extend+O (or Ext+T+O for Ctrl+Back to delete whole words).

The Extend modifier can be dual-role, but not RAlt nor LAlt as it is now. However, you can make your RAlt a Shift key using SharpKeys (it's in the Other folder of EPKL, or download it yourself). You could for instance swap the RShift and RAlt keys this way.

Last edited by DreymaR (10-Oct-2021 15:20:28)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

KMonad supports dual-role keys with options for tap, hold and sticky.

Last edited by stevep99 (13-Oct-2021 10:00:41)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

DreymaR said:

EPKL can't do those, unless you're a very skilled programmer (in which case I'd like to cooperate with you on it).

For Backspace, I use Extend+O (or Ext+T+O for Ctrl+Back to delete whole words).

The Extend modifier can be dual-role, but not RAlt nor LAlt as it is now. However, you can make your RAlt a Shift key using SharpKeys (it's in the Other folder of EPKL, or download it yourself). You could for instance swap the RShift and RAlt keys this way.

Thanks for the suggestion Dreymar. My main issue is actually the standard position of shift keys because it requires some degree of uncomfortable wrist effort. Is SharpKeys as portable as EPKL when I wanna type on someone else's PC?

EDIT:  Accessing the shift keys from CapsLock and EnterKey locations feels far more comfortable than their conventional positions. I wish there's an EPKL mod for that.

Last edited by Jhoravi (12-Oct-2021 07:34:34)
    stevep99 said:

KMonad support dual-role keys with options for tap, hold and sticky.

Thanks for the suggestion stevep99. I'm going to try KMonad for mapping keys. Is Kmonad is as portable as EPKL when I need to type on other peoples computer?

Jhoravi said:
    stevep99 said:

KMonad support dual-role keys with options for tap, hold and sticky.

Thanks for the suggestion stevep99. I'm going to try KMonad for mapping keys. Is Kmonad is as portable as EPKL when I need to type on other peoples computer?

On Linux at least you have to do some a bit config with the uinput device, which needs root access. Not sure about Windows/Mac but something similar I'd guess.

So I'd say no: KMonad is less portable than EPKL.

Last edited by stevep99 (13-Oct-2021 10:00:08)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

• Index
      • Technical
      • Help on EPKL for Backspace and Shift using Thumb