• You are not logged in.

Tarmak with Wide?

• Started by eBloom2021
    • 4 Replies:

I currently type QWERTY and have an ANSI laptop. I want to learn Colemak via Tarmak but I want to end up using Colemak Wide to enjoy having my hands farther apart. Is there a way to introduce the wide layout starting immediately with Tarmak 1? Or is the best approach just going through all the Tarmak steps and--after I've mastered Colemak--THEN adding the wide mod? Thanks.

There is a CAW version of Tarmak hidden away in EPKL, as a user made it at one point. But I hid it away again, since indeed:

I do believe that the best way is to learn Colemak (or Colemak-DH) via the Tarmak route first, and tack on the Wide mod afterwards! It's actually more in the spirit of Tarmak to do this, as you're keeping things in smaller bits instead of lumping them together all at once.

There is also the slight tiny little matter of me having wayyy too many combos to maintain already...  ᏊᵕꈊᵕᏊ

The Wide mod is actually really easy to get used to, you can add it almost as an afterthought once you're done learning Colemak. And I also think it's a decent idea to get just a little familiar with typing on vanilla Colemak in case you need to do that on some other computer in the future.

Since you're into the mod rabbit hole, I'd also recommend you to tack on the Sym mod eventually! EPKL has a Colemak-AngleWideSym (Cmk-AWS) combo you can use if you're on Windows. Be AWSome!

Last edited by DreymaR (15-Oct-2021 13:21:27)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I suppose the other option would be to start using Wide first before switching anything else. Wide by itself is almost no extra effort, as it's more around the knock-on effects - like suddenly having AltGr as an optimally-placed thumb key! I'd go so far as to say having a thumb key that can be used for (e.g.) Shift introduces a benefit at least on par with the individual tarmak steps.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

stevep99 said:

I suppose the other option would be to start using Wide first before switching anything else.

I'm very much against recommending that! Unless the user implements Tarmak on their own, in which case they're of course free to do so. As well you know, you and I already have too many files and variants to manage.

Tarmak is temporary. Therefore, it makes no sense to allow for all possible combos and spend time on implementing them. Just let the user go through Tarmak first, keeping focus on the most important bit which is what Tarmak is about by nature! Then afterwards, they can look at the expanses of possibilities spreading out before them.

eBloom2021 said:

Is there online training for Tarmak 1? [etc]

I answered your questions in the other topic you made for them!  ¯\(º_o)/¯