• You are not logged in.

Installing on SuSE 10.1?

• Started by suicideguy
    • 7 Replies:

I can't figure out how to install Colemak on SuSE 10.1

I'm just about at the point of becoming fast with Colemak and now that I've made the switch to Linux, I don't want to lose any of my proficiency because I can't use Colemak.

you followed the instructions.

I had it running on "open"SUSE 10.1, but I think one of the directories was a bit different. (I can't check now, because I've ditched "open"SUSE following Novell's deal with Microsoft, but I'm sure it will work better than ever for most people.

from the terminal, use:

su

(makes you become root)

find / -name xkb

(runs the find command, starting from '/' looking for a file or directory called xkb. Use wildcards to expand your search, eg. xkb* would look for anything that starts with xkb, or is just xkb on its own.

I can't remember if that's what you need to find, or if it's something else. Search for the other directories in the install guide and see where you get to. Make sure you run all the commands as root, or you won't have the permissions required.

Ok I finally figured out what I need to do but I'm getting an error:

Warning! Multiple definitions of symbols
             Using command line, ignoring rules file
    Trying to build keymap using the following components:
    keycodes:   xfree86+aliases(qwerty)
    types:      complete
    compat:     complete
    symbols:    pc/pc(pc104)+pc/colemak
    geometry:   pc(pc104)
    Error loading new keyboard description

It always gives me an Error loading new keyboard description. thing. Also in the Linux install instructions under "X Window System - X.Org Server 7.0 or later" it should be "perl -i.bak -pe 's#pc/us#us#g' /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/colemak/colemak" since you're putting the file 'colemak' into the 'colemak' directory?

• Shai
    • Administrator

In order to simplify things, I've removed the step requiring the Perl command line. Try out the new Linux/Unix installation instuctions.

I finally got it working. Man does it feel good to be using this again... :D

I just rebooted and lost the keymap change. How would I make it permanent using xmodmap?

• Shai
    • Administrator

The xkb solution is recommended for permanent use.

It is also possible to make it permanent using using xmodmap, you can trying copying the file to .Xmodmap (careful, filename is case sensitive) in your home directory, e.g.: cp xmodmap/xmodmap.colemak ~/.Xmodmap

Note that you'll still have to run: xset r 66 to get Caps Lock to repeat when held down.

https://colemak.com/Unix#X_Window_System_-_xmodmap

Those are the only directions that will work for me. I tried what you said to no avail...it continues to get reset during a reboot.