• You are not logged in.

World of Warcraft with Colemak?

• Started by Karthiliad
    • 3 Replies:

I doubt that I'm the first one to think of this, but I might be the first one to put it into effect.

I'm wanting to play WoW with Colemak and the issue is that I'm going to have to go through and re-bind every key to suit Colemak. For instance, WASD is now WARS (lol it spells ‘wars’). I was wondering if anyone else has attempted this and what kind of success (or failure) you're encountered.

~Karthiliad

I have a friend that always starts new games by wiping the keybindings and mapping them all himself - he doesn't use Colemak, though.

Personally, I use Colemak on my Mac (my "real" computer) and use QWERTY on my gaming PC (which I consider something of a toy).  It gets around the whole game keybindings issue (and the lack of games on OS X), and also gives me enough QWERTY cross-training that I can get by on computers outside of my house.

Of course, that only really works if you own more than one computer....

I've been playing WoW for about 3 weeks, and I'm using Colemak. I changed my computer to Colemak using the registry tool so when my computer booted up I could log in using colemak, not that it's a big thing but I'm picky like that.

Anyway, I remapped the moving keys, this replace largely useless (as far as I know) keys, except for QWERTY's R which is "reply", so I mapped that to Colemak's "P" which is where QWERTY's "R" is on the keyboard. It's not too difficult. Other than that, the keybinds don't matter relative to each other, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Remapping all your WoW keys takes about 5 minutes. I know, I did it. It's no big hassle. I did write down all my old key bindings though, just in case. That's not necessary, but it took about 15 minutes, maybe because I kept getting attacked.

Last edited by SpeedMorph (09-Mar-2008 02:38:53)