• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Should I Stick Colemak Keyboard Stickers On My Keyboard?

Should I Stick Colemak Keyboard Stickers On My Keyboard?

• Started by SuperColemakTyper
    • 6 Replies:
    • SuperColemakTyper

Is this reccomended?

Not in general.

If you use the EPKL program you can have on-screen help images which let you see the layout without looking down. That may help while learning.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

There is good learning advice on the Colemak website: https://colemak.com/Learn#Tips_for_learning.
    Please do some reading and searching first, many of your questions are FAQ.

• SuperColemakTyper

I think you think I am new to Colemak.
    But I've already learnt Colemak for 1 month(actually it's 32 days(1 m & 1d) and I am familiar with it.  I don't forget keys now and I can type about 60 wpm in the short term and 54 wpm in the long term. I now have used Colemak almost always for the last about 3 days. You shouldn't stick stickers on my keyboard if you don't know how to type vanilla Colemak because you would be tempted to look because you are not familiar without looking at the keyboard but I am different. I wouldn't look at the keyboard that much even if I apply stickers.
    I am now still in the progress of learning-started-weeks-or-days-ago position. I want to add stickers to my keyboard so:
    I don't accidently type qwerty.
    For logical reasons:
    Why am I typing on Colemak but it looks like qwerty(my current one)?
    I want to look at Colemak not look at the inefficient qwerty?
    Is it recommended for me to use Colemak keyboard stickers considering the stickers don't affect that much on my looking-at-keyboard-while-typing(I don't have a habit of this) habits.

Last edited by SuperColemakTyper (23-Nov-2021 07:41:47)

I'd advise against it. I actually sometimes need to look at the QWERTY key placements, sometimes on command lines and on servers where I don't have Colemak. And since I no longer remember QWERTY by heart easily, it's better to be able to see the QWERTY mappings than the Colemak(-CAWS) ones which I know by heart.

Last edited by DreymaR (23-Nov-2021 10:41:42)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• SuperColemakTyper

But I don't want to see QWERTY on my keyboard: I don't need to use it that much.

The usual advice is that you should train yourself to not look at the keyboard and therefore you shouldn't really need them.

But having said that I used them for a while I first learned, and thought they were helpful, even if only psychologically. I think they are OK as a short-term measure during the learning phase, especially if you have a basic cheap keyboard. If you don't want to look at Qwerty (which is understandable) the better solution is replacing/moving keycaps (where possible) or getting a keyboard with same-profile keys.

Last edited by stevep99 (24-Nov-2021 17:05:28)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

• Index
      • General
      • Should I Stick Colemak Keyboard Stickers On My Keyboard?