• You are not logged in.

DHk or DHm

• Started by maktao
    • 5 Replies:

I currently type workman, but I recently built an ortholinear keyboard and I'm interested in switching to colemak as some of the bi grams in workman frustrate me. I know that it's usually recommended to use DHm on ortholinear and DHm on staggered but I'm conflicted as to which I should learn. Although most of the time I will be using an ortholinear keyboard, I am often required to use a laptop for school. I could learn both but that will definitely hinder my accuracy. Any opinions?

There is no need to learn both, stick with one. The difference is really minor, especially for row staggered board. I would choose DHm if the matrix or columnar staggered board will be used enough time.

"DHm" is now the default Colemak-DH on both ortho and traditional boards. The one known as "DHk" is mostly legacy. I recommend DHm ( = DH ) unless you have a specific reason for not doing so.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

If you were on row-staggered only and didn't mind poorer implementation, DHk might be an option for you. Since you have an ortho, it's a no-brainer really. Go with the standard DH.

The more interesting question is what you'll do about the Angle mod on your row-stag. The more experienced typists tend to say that they prefer to run the Angle mod on their row-stag and of course not on their ortho; it makes the row-stag more ergonomic which feels more similar to the ortho.

Oh, and: Congrats on leaving Workman! You're choosing a better layout.

Last edited by DreymaR (02-Dec-2021 16:13:05)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks everyone for the replies, I think I understand the colemak variations better now.

Glad we could help! Have you studied the BigBag for more info yet?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***