• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Allowed to use Colemak layout for Keyboard Designer app?

Allowed to use Colemak layout for Keyboard Designer app?

• Started by Gary Hayes
    • 4 Replies:

Hi Shai,

I am the developer of the Android app Keyboard Designer (www.keyboarddesigner.com). In the newest beta version 5.B2.0, a list of keyboard templates is shown when a user creates a new design.

Will you give me the permission to offer the Colemak layout and its name in this list, too?

• Shai
    • Administrator

As per the License: "You have the right to freely use it for any purpose, without any conditions. It may be freely incorporated into any work, whether proprietary or free"

Thank you so much for your positive feedback! :D

A tiny little caveat: I know that many new Colemak users ask for the ability to use Colemak on an touch screen keyboard, but in the community it isn't considered a very good idea to do so. Colemak was designed for and is really great to use on normal keyboards. But some of the things that make it great for normal typing, like its rolls, don't work well on a touch screen. And while visual memory of the layout may be aided by having it on your devices, it won't do your motor memory any good so it isn't really that beneficial.

On the upside of things, we're really happy to see Colemak getting attention and being shown as an option so more people can notice it!

I use something totally different myself, the MessagEase keyboard which was designed for touch screen use by utilizing a combination of taps and swipes on large keys.

But no matter: It'll be great to have Colemak on your app by default, so we can point those eager newbies in your direction – with that tiny little caveat mentioned.
      ( のvの) c[_]

Last edited by DreymaR (16-Feb-2022 17:33:27)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thank you for your thoughts!

The Keyboard Designer allows users to create a keyboard to their own needs or to adjust an existing keyboard. Many users are just using default QWERTY layouts and do not even thing about changing their habits. This app should make users aware of the fact, that keyboards do not need to look like they have for many years, but keyboards should just let them type easily.

Offering a Colemak design has two effects in my point of view. Users, that already use Colemak on their PC or Mac have the chance to use it also on their mobile device. Yes, there are already some keyboards in the Play Store that provide also this layout, but the Keyboard Designer will also be an option for them. When users are used to the positions of the keys of the Colemak layout on their desktop system, it will be easier for them to find the keys on a mobile device, when they are arranged in a similar way.

On the other handside, offering Colemak within the app, some users might try it on their PC or Mac as they get aware of it now.

I add a small description to each design in the app. The one for Colemak will contain a hint, that this layout was originaly designed for desktop systems, but is also available for this app.

• Index
      • General
      • Allowed to use Colemak layout for Keyboard Designer app?