• You are not logged in.

Fingering scheme

• Started by dimonf
    • 2 Replies:

I found that my finger placement on QWERTY keyboard is a bit different from the map shown here https://colemak.com/Learn . I've been taught to place hands symmetrically, so the left index finger is used for keys GTC - DV - B (colemak scheme). Probably this key-finger binding will change the statistic available here https://colemak.com/Compare . I tried to print according to the colemak fingering scheme and found it difficult and clearly unnatural to my left hand. Then I discovered that dvorak fingering map assume the same hand position. In my opinion, in targeting problems related to accuracy / speed / RSI, the fingers' placement scheme is nearly as important as the keyboard layout itself.

• Shai
    • Administrator

I know that some people prefer it that way, nevertheless I recommend the finger placement as shown in the diagram because:
    * It has a better finger balance. If you hit C with the index, the index finger does too much work, and the middle finger is underused.
    * Since the index finger needs to hit seven keys now, it also significantly increases the same-finger ratio.
    * All good ergonomic keyboards use a square layout keyboards (TypeMatrix, Maltron, Datadesk Smartboard, Kinesis). In a few years I estimate we'll see more and more of these. People who are learning Colemak are very likely to get an ergonomic keyboard, now or in the future. Hitting the keys that way will make it easier to make the transition.

If you find that hitting C with the middle finger or hitting B with the index finger causes strain, you should adjust the angle of your left hand, even if it isn't exactly symmetrical to the right hand.

Probably my habit came from my piano lessons. I actually never noticed the difference, though I use computers for about 20 years now :) OK, I'll give it a try.
    By the way, you've done excellent work Shai. As far as I can see, it is quite difficult to find the ultimate solution for typing people, which will last long. Say, tomorrow new design of keyboard could be introduced which entails surge of new keyboard layout inventions. But as soon as one wants to improve his/her life experience with originally unnatural for human being computer's keyboard, he/she has no choice but invest time and effort into best suited solution available at present, which inevitably bears the above limitation. I personally found your project well prepared and maintained, and in comparison with say dvorak method, probably more suitable for hackers and programmers.
    Thank you Shai.

Last edited by dimonf (12-Nov-2006 09:59:49)