• You are not logged in.

Typing "c" on colemak dh?

• Started by p1an0_guy
    • 6 Replies:

I've been using Colemak for around two weeks now and it's so much better than qwerty haha. I tried Colemak DH the past few days, and I thought it was quite a bit better even than Colemak vanilla except that I had to type the c with my left middle finger, which feels awkward (lt feels like l'm sliding around on the key with my nail, and also it just feels slightly unnatural to have to bend my middle finger down there. The most troublesome word to type, ironically, was "practice" :-D). Anybody have any pointers?

You probably used to "Angle cheat" on QWERTY to keep your wrist straighter, typing C with index? The problem with that on Colemak is that it's made for the traditional typing technique where C should be hit with the middle finger – even if that leads to a twisted left wrist. So Colemak-DH uses an Angle mod to keep the wrist straight while keeping the mappings like the layout is designed for.

Long story short: Just get used to it. Don't cheat. See the Colemak.org site for more info if you wish.

https://www.colemak.org

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Yeah that probably is the problem. Although, I'm using a ANSI keyboard so I really only can use angle cheat haha. I also stumbled across oats' DHv layout on the forum and that looks pretty promising. Actually I'm getting around 60 wpm on it already haha. The C, which is more common than V, is in a much better position. Any reason not to use that?

Even Oats admits that his layout is probably a step back, but he's both comfortable damn good with it of course so it shouldn't stop your speed significantly – just your comfort most probably. And no, C isn't in a better position. Just one you're used to.

Did you check the colemak.org FAQ that I linked to?

You can use a proper Angle mod on ANSI, not "only cheat" as you claim. The most common one is Angle-Z which moves Z to the middle, but there are others if you are technically competent and adventurous – such as the FatZ or even the DoubleFatWide mod. They're described in my BigBag.

Last edited by DreymaR (11-Nov-2022 15:55:48)

That makes sense haha I would be very used to typing "e" on qwerty.

Yeah, I checked the FAQ.

Oh yeah the angle-z is what I am using. I guess I should just get used to the c at this point haha.

That would be my recommendation, as it seems to be working well for others. We have a lot of users worrying about their Z and/or C at first, but after a while they seem quite happy with the state of things. Of course, there are individual variations and if I remember correctly Oats had somewhat non-standard fingers so he ended up using a non-standard variant – and certainly did well enough with it as you know!

Either way, best of luck for your further Colemak adventures!

Yeah it's starting to feel a bit less foreign now, and I'm finally hitting above 70 wpm haha. Thanks!