• You are not logged in.

Colvorak

• Started by SpeedMorph
    • 3 Replies:

Colemak is designed for ease to learn from QWERTY. But I notice that a lot of users are coming from Dvorak. How would Colemak look if it was designed to be easy to learn from Dvorak? I designed this little keyboard yesterday.

'  ,  . p y f g  c  u l
    a r s t d h n  e  i o
    ; q j k x b m w v z

I basically took the home row of Colemak and the bottom and top rows of Dvorak and stuck them together, and switched u and r. Plus a is in the Dvorak spot, and d and e are in the Dvorak spot on the opposite hand. What do you think?

Heh. I'd probably move the L and B to better positions and the J to a worse one. But more interesting is what happens to common digraphs. Shai worked hard to make many common digraphs flow well with Colemak, and I have a feeling many of them will hurt when you do a thing like this. Still fun of course.  :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Yeah, when I did this I didn't take digraphs into account. I didn't put a lot of work into it, just made it for fun. It took about 15 minutes.

I did a similar thing before I started using Colemak (Warning - long read with MANY sidetracks!):
    https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=90

Ah, the memories...  :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***