• You are not logged in.

About a week into it

• Started by Kupari
    • 11 Replies:

Hello, everyone. I started doing Colemak last Thursday and I have to say I absolutely love it. In fact, I like it so much that I even remapped my laptop for it (just for the looks, haha). I'm already at about 45wpm which a little less than half my QWERTY typing.

3 days into colemak! I am at about 22 wpm. I was only at 40 wpm on QWERTY anyway, I like it!

On your keyboard you have the F and T positions switched from Colemak layout ?

keyboard samurai said:

On your keyboard you have the F and T positions switched from Colemak layout ?

Just the keyboard. The actual positions are correct. I wanted to retain the bumps. Furthermore, the F- and J-keys seemed to have the part connecting to the keyboard vertical while the other keys are horizonal, so it was impossible to fit them in any other place anyway.

Ah yes, the bump keys. If you cannot change their position, you cannot, which is often the case. You might consider stickers for those two (four) keys.

If you could switch the keys by some trickery, you could make new bumps which is what I usually do. See my topic on keyboard modding:
    https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=188

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I guess on Linux or Windows, you can get away with rearranging the keys, but on OSX you would be in trouble if your Login password was not exactly the same in Qwerty as Colemak (Mine is not.) because the intitial Login window always defaults to Qwerty.  The faster user switching login window does remember the Colemak setting however.  I am glad I left the keys as they were, it's forced me to really memorize the Colemak completely.  The keys are right where I need them.  I had forgotten F was the bump key in Qwerty. DOH!

keyboard samurai said:

I am glad I left the keys as they were, it's forced me to really memorize the Colemak completely.  The keys are right where I need them.  I had forgotten F was the bump key in Qwerty. DOH!

Absolutely. I use a QWERTY keyboard for my main computer while typing Colemak. When I did the laptop, I didn't need any references at all; I memorized all the keys already.

My password is layout invariant. But in Windows at least you can edit the registry to change which layout is used for login. I don't think the Mac can be worse off - but I don't know how to do it.

Whenever something does revert to QWERTY under my fingers, there's always a QWERTY board nearby that I can peek at.  :)

Last edited by DreymaR (13-Dec-2007 20:50:27)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

keyboard samurai said:

I guess on Linux or Windows, you can get away with rearranging the keys, but on OSX you would be in trouble if your Login password was not exactly the same in Qwerty as Colemak (Mine is not.) because the intitial Login window always defaults to Qwerty.  The faster user switching login window does remember the Colemak setting however.  I am glad I left the keys as they were, it's forced me to really memorize the Colemak completely.  The keys are right where I need them.  I had forgotten F was the bump key in Qwerty. DOH!

You can switch the login window keyboard layout in the more recent versions of Mac OS X (10.4 and 10.5 for sure, don't remember about earlier versions) like so:

Open System Preferences -> Accounts. Click the lock and enter an admin password if necessary, then click on Login Options.  Check "Show Input menu in login window". Log out and select Colemak. Done. Enjoy. :)

In Mac OS X 10.5 (AKA Leopard) one can even select the keyboard layout in any authorization dialogue (which I happen to see regularly since I work as a standard user, not one with administrative privileges).

Last edited by boli (13-Dec-2007 23:24:15)

Ahhhh..... I had seen that but not really thought it through.   So that is what that is good for.
    I guess I was just way too well indoctrinated on 10.1 through 10.3.   

That's Awesome!  Cool!    That was the last thing I was doing in Qwerty.  gone!

Okay I take back all those times I took Jobs name in vain.

Last edited by keyboard samurai (14-Dec-2007 01:35:27)

I passed my old QWERTY speed of 96 WPM yesterday by 1 WPM and reached 99 WPM today. It's amazing that I managed to pass my old speed in just three months. :) My next goal is for 110 WPM, maybe. We'll see.

that's excellent progress...good job