• You are not logged in.

Moving some punctuation symbols

• Started by tomlu
    • 5 Replies:

I realise that topics along the lines of "Colemak + just this one small change" must be boring you all to tears. Nevertheless, I wanted to tell you all about a modification that has worked out great for me.

I am loath to move my hands away from the home position. The <> keys are not often used except for programming. Therefore I switched those symbols for ?!. To me this makes a lot of sense. Furthermore, I don't often type /, so I switched this key with the hyphen which I do use a lot.

Together, these modifications enable me to basically always keep my hands stationary for all English text.

Any comments are of course welcome.

Last edited by tomlu (17-Mar-2008 21:34:14)

That sounds useful - for some. Others will cry if you make their tag chars less accessible I guess. Yet others will find it a hassle to learn even more new locations. All in all, it shouldn't matter much for typing speed since those glyphs are rare.

Thus, it may be a perfectly good thing to do on your own but won't find its' way into the official Colemak I think.

BTW: Did you read this? https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=375

Last edited by DreymaR (17-Mar-2008 22:35:48)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Dreymar: Since one of the (probably wise) design tradeoffs of Colemak is to not move the non-alphabetic keys, I too doubt Shai would include it. Typing speed was not greatly impacted for me as you correctly guess, however one should not underestimate quite how comfortable it is to basically never have to take one's hands off the home row.

If you write a lot of tagged text on the internet this is probably not for you. For me the angle brackets are part of my programming toolbox, which I deal with arensito-style (I'll post about that tomorrow I think in the hope that someone will find it helpful).

Also, I did read that thread. For me it did not take that long to change over (a day or so). In msn conversation and emails the question mark is not that uncommon.

Even if you did do progamming, you wouldn't use <> much. I personally find it very easy to hit shift-period or shift-comma, and it's harder to hit shift-9 or shift-0, so I think ( and ) should be on the punctuation. This is also beneficial for some programming languages; I use ( and ) in Ruby a lot more than < and >. But I also think ! and ? need a new place, possibly on the same key. They are both very common compared to some punctuation.

I do programming.  In web programming, I use < and > a lot for html.  In normal programming, I use them frequently for xml and the occasional comparison, esp. for outdated language where for each is not really an option.

Many people tried to attack this problem by switching symbols.  I am beginning to think we need a bigger keyboard, afterall...

I've thought that too. The problem with a bigger keyboard is that it'll take more space. Stretching up and down already goes about as far as I'm interested in (except for rare symbols - I could use a new row on top for those because they'd be easy to find there!), and sidewards stretch means both that your outmost fingers get even more to do and that the keyboard takes up more desktop real estate. There's also the matter of arm and wrist angles; some have argued that even today's keyboards are too wide and that ergonomy would dictate a more compact board.

For me, it's also the matter of me wanting to be able to use any physical board I come across. As long as things can be done in software, I can normally get them working. A hardware solution isn't always accessible to me.

It's a tricky matter.

Last edited by DreymaR (02-Apr-2008 07:53:00)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***