• You are not logged in.

My first week experience

• Started by David O'C
    • 5 Replies:

I've been using colemak for a week now.  I had been typing on qwerty for 5-6 years and could get to 50 wpm on that layout.

I have been keeping a log of the highest speed I can go on colemak. On my first day, I could only type at 8 wpm.  But the speed increased to 12 to 18 to 22 and currently at a speed of 25, half the speed on qwerty. I've been using hi-games's typing test.  I'm hoping to catch up to my qwerty typing within the coming weeks and months.

One thing bothered me.  On the colemak keyboard, some of the keys were placed on the US layout. But after using MS Keyboard Layout creator, I set the keys to the UK layout.

Yes - the Colemak layout is in fact a US Colemak layout as it stands, and making/supporting all the national layouts would at present be too much work for Shai so users in different locales have been making their own. You may go the way you did and add some UK keys or you may go from a UK QWERTY and change the letters that need changing. Someone did make his own UK Colemak already, but he shifted the whole bottom row to the left which may be a bit drastic. (I shift the left half of it myself on my Norwegian Colemak to achieve a better wrist angle, a practice that Shai recommends.)

Best of luck with Colemak!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Update: After 6 days, I am now up to 34 wpm.  I'm finding out what keys that I usually mis type.

Update 2: After another 6 days, I am now up to 46 wpm. I'm hoping to get to 50 by the end of the week.

Just yesterday I had gotten 55 wpm on the hi-games typing test, which is 1 wpm more than I previously scored with qwerty. I have now reached my qwerty typing speed and I now plan to go faster than that.

Here's the link to my typing test replay:

http://hi-games.net/typing-test/watch?u=482

Last edited by David O'C (04-Apr-2008 12:12:08)

That's nice progress! I took much longer.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***