• You are not logged in.

Another Dvorak switcher

• Started by wussboy
    • 24 Replies:

Hello everyone.  I've been using Dvorak for about 4 years and have now (after several months of deliberation) decided to try Colemak.

My main reason for switching was that in my current job I use cut and paste a lot and I was really growing tired if not being able to use the short cut keys.  Plus I think the CAPSLOCK being swapped for BACKSPACE is brilliant!

I enjoyed Dvorak, but had a few complaints about it too.  Other than the keyboard shortcuts, I always found the f and y cumbersome, and the L was annoying too.

I just scored a whopping 13 wpm on the ryanheise typing test (down from 90 in Dvorak)!  I look forward to getting better.  I'm going cold-turkey, so this post has crawled out.  thanks for the great lay-out!

Welcome, wussboy... I hope your name is ironic, because going cold turkey is damn difficult! Please keep posting about your progress.
    Good luck~

Go wussboy! 

:-)

Good luck! The first week is probably the hardest, so just keep going. :)

hey wussboy, it's more challenging to switch from Dvorak to Colemak, but it's possible. Good luck.

Hi everyone.  I'm typing this back in Dvorak.  After trying Colemak for 3 days, I have decided to go back.  Not because it was too hard (I may switch again at some later date), but because I was having trouble with the software.

I installed it on my work computer, where I do the vast majority of my typing, on Monday.  On Tuesday, my computer took 5 attempts to turn on, doing a full reset when it reached the "loading personal settings" screen, and once doing a full reset after reaching the desktop when I first pressed a key on the keyboard.  I thought it might be the Colemak software, but I wasn't sure.  On Wednesday it took 2 attempts to get booted up, and no crashing, so I thought it might just be a one-off thing.  Today it booted right up, but then crashed when I first pressed a key.  I don't know what's wrong, but can't really afford to be messing my work computer up.  I'll go back to Dvorak for now, but I enjoyed my 3 days in Colemak (I LOVED having the cut and paste shortcuts back!)  If anyone knows why this problem is occuring or how to make installing the software safe, please let me know.

You use the Windows install? In that case, I think I can guarantee you with 99.9% certainty that your computer worries stem from another source entirely. That install is based on the standard layout dll method which doesn't cause trouble. The only potential trouble I can envision would be if your work computer has a test for changes installed by your boss - but such a test ought to revert changes, not crash the comp!

At any rate, you could use the AutoHotKey-on-a-stick method instead if you're more comfortable with running Colemak from a USB stick than with installing it on your work comp (and your company allows this).

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Shai
    • Administrator

In some very rare cases I've heard that the Colemak 1.0 install for Windows causes some crashes. Try the 1.1 beta version, or any of the other methods, such as the registry mapping.

I wouldn't registry remap a work computer!

But yeah, don't use any old version. You want the new stuff, made with MSKLC 1.4, optimized for processor type and whatnot. The only "beta" thing about the "beta", ttbomk, is that it doesn't remap the CapsLock key for you. Again, something I'm not entirely sure I'd do on a work comp - but if you want it then you can do it yourself with KMapper or just merge the .reg file in the installers.

Last edited by DreymaR (15-Nov-2007 16:32:27)

Is there a way that I can remap just the caps lock key?  I'll try the beta release, but it would ke nice to have all the benefeits of Colemak.

Hmmm...I just rebooted after installing the 1.1 beta and had no issues.  Now, if someone can tell me how to remap just the capslock, we'll be in business!

Edited:

Clearly I'm an idiot.  I have the backspace remapped now.  So far every thing seems okay...other than my WPM has dropped by 85%!  :(

I'll keep people posted.

Last edited by wussboy (15-Nov-2007 17:40:56)

Second day with tthe 1.1 beta.  I've rebooted my computer 3 or 4 times now and had no further difficulties.  Seems like that has fixed it.

I haven't really used any of the practices.  I just printed out the keyboard and taped it to my monitor and went back to work.  It's weird, but I think I feel that because I switched to Dvorak, I know I can make this switch too.  I will probably try some exercises after work.

Cheers!

Well, it has been 2 weeks now, and I just did 28 wpm on the typing test.  That's up from 19 at the beginning.  I haven't practised at all, other than just being at work.  I really should practice...  Oh well.  Strangely, I do better when I don't look at the screen or keyboard.  I'm actually better with my eyes shut!

Another test today.  I still haven't practised, but typing at work seemed faster today so I thought I'd test myself.  I did 38 wpm, which is a nice improvement.  It must have been sinking into my subconscious over the weekend.  At 38, typing is still a nuisance, but it seems no longer excrutiating.  My family, friends, and co-workers will suddenly notice my reappearance!

I think I stopped being annoyed at myself around 45 WPM, but that should be quite individual I guess.

I am annoyed I haven't legitimately broken past 45 WPM yet on any typing test yet. 

KBS

Last edited by keyboard samurai (03-Dec-2007 23:30:36)

I'd recommend playing a typing game like Typing of the Dead: That loosened me up a lot, at least. If you can do 44 WPM, you should be ready for such a game. Much slower, and the game will be too hard to enjoy properly even if the difficulty settings are adjustable. But around there, it should be about right.

If you don't like a zombie theme, just play Typer Shark for free (or buy the more snazzy version) at PopCap games.

I just tested myself again today, and did 43 wpm.  I find I type with fewer mistakes when I'm looking at a book and typing the text from it, as opposed to my normal looking at what I'm typing on the screen.  It's weird.  I make tons of mistakes when I look at the screen.  I really need to look anywhere else.

Hi,

I type close to 9 hours a day (though i have long breaks every month) using qwerty.
    I just hate QWERTY.

So I searched for alternative keyboard layouts.
    Initially I found Dvorak, and started learning it.
    But in about three days, I found that Dvorak too has some limitations while switching over from qwerty.
    Especially the punctuation keys, which I often use.

Then I searched for other layouts. And I got Colemak.

I'm using the exe file provided by Ryan in his website http://www.ryanheise.com/colemak.exe to change the layout.
    I use CAPS LOCKS a lot. Now i use sticky keys to overcome that issue.

pothi said:

I'm using the exe file provided by Ryan in his website http://www.ryanheise.com/colemak.exe to change the layout. I use CAPS LOCKS a lot. Now i use sticky keys to overcome that issue.

Try my program. https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=345
    I use Right + QWERTY's CapsLock to original function of Caps Lock.

Portable Keyboard Layout with Colemak support
    http://pkl.sourceforge.net/

fmate14 said:

Try my program. https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=345
    I use Right + QWERTY's Caps Lock to original function of Caps Lock.

Hi,
    It works so well. Now I'm carrying your version in my USB everyday. It's been very useful to me. I had little frustration when I was using sticky keys to overcome the issue of CAPS LOCK. Now I got rid of it and I'm completely satisfied using colemak everywhere.

Thanks mate.

Hey everyone.  It's been just over 3 months, and I tested myself today.  I manages 58 wpm, which is certainly a personal best.  The transition is coming along quite well.  My main struggles are currently the B, K, and V keys.  I always mangle those ones.

Glad to hear you're doing well!

The B key is in a horrible position. Some people have as much trouble with J but for me it's always been the B that caused the most trouble. Until I switched it one letter to the left and put my VK_102 in the middle. Now I'm very happy with hitting both B and V. You'll have to use a board that has a key to the left of Z for this to be feasible, obviously.

The only downside I've noticed is that a couple of times when using unmodified QWERTY boards I've hit Ctrl-X instead of Ctrl-C and such. But in these days of liberal Undo policies that's not been a problem.

I just tested again and did 60, then 63, which I'm quite comfortable with having reached.  It's about as fast as I can think, anyways.  :)  Typing is no longer really a chore and I don't feel like it's hindering me.  I imagine I'll continue to get better, but as I said, I'm pretty comfortable with this current level.

Nice to join you all.

wussboy,
    I'm glad to here that things have gone well for you in the transition.
    I switched to Dvorak 10 years ago and I've been much happier than using Qwerty. It took me a solid month going cold turkey to switch - that looks like it was about your timeline with Colemak as well.
    At some point, I'll probably try Colemak and see what happens. After reading some of the posts, I'm very interested and it looks like there are some definite advantages. I can never remember where the brackets, the plus and equals sign and so forth are in Dvorak.
    It would be nice if Colemak was a standard option in Windows. Having to do something custom on all the computers that I use could be a challenge.

Have a nice day.

PS. I was doing an install of Ubuntu Hardy Heron and I noticed the Colemak keyboard layout above Dvorak. I wondered what Colemak was, looked it up and found you all.

Last edited by EarloftheWest (11-Apr-2008 19:55:54)