• You are not logged in.

Same finger–overrated?

• Started by SpeedMorph
    • 2 Replies:

In practicing typing, I have noticed that typing two things with the same finger isn't all that hard. It slows me down a bit if I'm typing fast enough, because there's a limit to how fast one finger can move. But other than that, it's not particularly uncomfortable. It's possible that it's worse than I think, I just don't notice because same finger barely ever occurs on Colemak. Thoughts?

• Shai
    • Administrator

Unlike other keyboard layouts, reducing same-finger was a high priority in the Colemak design.
    In fact, Colemak wouldn't exist without this consideration. While designing Colemak, I've excluded all digraphs that caused same-finger beyond a certain threshold. Which meant that in certain positions, only a very small percentage of keys needed to be considered. In many cases, while taking into account other factors, it meant that only one letter would be a good fit in a certain key location.

* In QWERTY, for example a lot of people learn "typing tricks" to speed up typing, e.g. for the "ED" digraph, they'll type the E with the middle finger, and the D with the index finger. This increasing the learning time, complicates the typing process, and often encourages bad finger/wrist postures and bad typing habits in general.
    * Same finger slows down typing. In order to achieve a high typing speed and high accuracy, you need to maintain a steady typing rhythm. Same finger interrupts the typing stream. Interrupting stream increases the error rate. When errors are made, the typing stream is interrupted even further. While it may not be very apparent initially, it becomes more and more of an issue as you develop your typing speed and skills.
    * Same finger magnifies the strain and effort put on the finger, e.g. try to type qzqzqzq...

Oh, I see! So not only does it take longer, but because it takes longer, it messes up your rhythm. That's a good enough reason for me. Thanks!

Also: I notice that my genetic algorithm almost always puts certain combos together, such as IY, EU, TD, SG, and others. They are all combos that at least one of the best layouts (Colemak, Arensito, Capewell) has.

Last edited by SpeedMorph (07-May-2008 21:03:43)