• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Optimizing for speed / How does Seruxie's layout compare?

Optimizing for speed / How does Seruxie's layout compare?

• Started by s341
    • 5 Replies:

This is the layout I am using to type this: https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=25

I picked it out of sheer defiance, since I'm absolutely not interested in similarity to qwerty, nor in preserving shortcuts. I am primarily interested in speed, and I deduced that such restrictions would evidently reduce the speed potential.

However I have hardly any knowledge on this, so I have no clue what effect on speed they really have, if any.

I have selected Seruxie's from the alternative layouts page, by elimination. Dvorak is not acceptable, because of the limitations outlined in the Colemak website. Colemak itself and Capewell are distracted from the main goal with the shortcut stuff. Arensito seems awkward on a regular keyboard, but is perhaps still plausible. Maltron seems also to be designed for a special keyboard.

I have been using Seruxie's for a few hours now, trying to build up to 10 wpm. I'm wondering how it compares to the alternatives. I'm also interested in furthering research on the optimal keyboard. Some more experiments perhaps?

Hopefully you keyboard layout gurus can give me some pointers as to where to get started.

I find it interesting to investigate optimizing for:

Speed, Ergonomics, for example

# Minimize finger movements.
    # Maximize the use of 'combos,' i.e., multiple keys hit on the same hand with one comfortable movement
    # Minimize the use of uncomfortable combos
    # Minimize use of certain positions on the keyboard   
    # Minimized the probability of using the same finger for two consecutive keypresses.
    # The work done by the pinkies should be less than the work on the other fingers.
    # The amount of work should be evenly disributed between the left and right hand.
    # Give special characters a good spot

I do not find it interesting to investigate optimizing for:

"Legacy" restrictions, for example

# Similar to QWERTY
    # Keep the ZXCV keys in the lower left so that it is still easy to type CTRL+Z/X/C/V to undo/cut/copy/paste

Notwithstanding the above, I'd like the layout to work on a legacy keyboard, although I'm not completely disinterested in exploring other designs.

Thanks for sharing!
    --s341

Hi s341,

This is obviously upto the individual to decide which one is better or not, but I personally like statistical proof more and practicality is important, not just typing speed. Thus, if for instance, I decide to use this layout on another computer, I'll have difficulty, since this layout isn't widely available like the other ones.

I found it very easy to learn Colemak, because of such few changes as opposed to the alternatives and I don't plan on learning a new layout once again. Colemak still has many of the benefits to those layouts that have many position keys change. I doubt there is a big difference in speed compared to Colemak. Also, Colemak is more available on other computers besides your own, it has a website, easy to download files, works with other OSs, has support/help available, and has been researched intensively to get a superb layout.

Basically, in my opinion, The incentive of switching once again to another layout that's similar to Colemak but not quite, is not really worth the switch. However, as seruxie said, he did it for his personal use and those who wish, may use it too. So if you like it better, good luck with it :).  BTW, I don't see any statistics comparing it to other layouts like Colemak does.

Last edited by AGK (14-Jun-2007 04:08:42)

If you're hellbent on not preserving any QWERTY keys, you could always read up on stuff like this:
    http://web.umr.edu/~tauritzd/courses/ec … Walker.pdf
    ...and of course Michael Capewell and this site. Then go ahead and personalize your design demands. There is no universal layout that can beat a layout optimized for your physiology and word/language usage preferences. I hardly think it's worth it though.

- Consider that the keys left in place for Colemak (and certainly Capewell) don't really effect speed noticeably. The rare ones are left in awkward positions and their usage is well below 1% for the most part. It won't have a significant effect on anything except making the layout hard to learn if you move them around and some are even optimally obscure where QWERTY already has them (such as the Q and ZX); one of Dvorak's mistakes was to insist on moving keys that didn't need it. You'll spend time and effort learning placements of obscure keys that didn't really need moving, making your speed and accuracy inferior for much longer. Is it worth it?

Maybe the A could be moved; it's a bit too common for where QWERTY/Colemak keeps it. Maybe - just maybe - the comma and dot could've been moved with some benefit. Maybe a few others that I cannot think of at the moment. But you'll have a hard time getting everything together better than Colemak because it's really thought through with respect to digraphs ('combos') in my experience. (I have an old topic somewhere around here about my own attempts.)

I strongly feel that the potential speed/ergonomy benefit you could squeeze out of letting the Colemak's design restrictions go, would be much inferior to letting go of your own restriction of staying on a legacy keyboard. If you really want much benefit beyond what Colemak has to offer that's where I think you need to look. Non-staggered rows, a split/curved design and maybe a 3D typing surface will give you way more bang for your buck I believe. (I don't care, I still use legacy boards for convenience and economy - but I'm not trying to beat Barbara B.)

Seruxie's layout is optimized for a non-legacy ergonomic board, as you may have noticed. Did you change his J position as he mentions?

Shai has already pointed out a few problems with seruxie's proposed layout. He in turn, has some different comments as I'm sure you've read. If you want much more than that you'll have to turn to actual hard research which I don't think any of us has the resources to do yet. Sorry.

In sum, I think it's you and not Capewell or Shai that's been distracted from the main goal. I fear that you haven't assessed properly the actual effect of keeping those shortcuts in place, but let your antipathy towards this concept guide you; I could be wrong of course.

But go ahead, knock yourself out looking for your keyboard "grail", and have fun in the grueling process. I did, as several others here have.  :)  Then I stopped, and went Colemak because that's way better researched than anything I could throw together and works so well in all areas I can think of (and from the looks of it, the gross majority of other contenders I've seen around here). Haven't regretted it once.

Last edited by DreymaR (14-Jun-2007 09:02:40)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Second day, still improving at a nice pace. I have doubled my wpm already (from 10 to 20 ; )

I'm unfortunately not yet fast enough to say how much I like this one. I'm going for at least 150 wpm before I make another switch.

AGK,

those statistics are exactly what I'm looking to create! I want to see how well Seruxie's layout performs under statistical scrutiny.

My restriction on using a legacy keyboard is exactly so I can use it everywhere.

Your other points are moot:

- Website (anyone can make a website)
    - Easy to download
         This layout is trivial to temporarily set up elsewhere as well.
         All I do is type at a virtual terminal (with hunt and peck :P)

wget <layout url> -O - | xmodmap -

- Other OS
         Any OS that does not let you change the layout without some
         kind of hack is broken. File a bug with the developers.

Or make a hack.
    - Support / help
         I'm actually not sure if I can refute this. I don't understand it.
    - Researched intensively
         So let's make some comparisons! Do more research!

DreymaR,

yes, I did switch the V and J.

Certainly I have let my antipathy guide me, as I admitted in the opening post. I have no evidence that colemak is slower because of it.

However, I see no benefit to keeping those shortcuts. My operating system lets me map shortcuts anywhere, also by scancode, so they don't necessarily change with the layout. If I wanted, I could even create a bunch of shortcuts with my currently unused Windows key, to behave as if CTRL+<that key on QWERTY> was pressed. In order to preserve all shortcuts even for broken programs that won't let me remap them.

Furthermore, I don't even use those shortcuts. The mouse is much faster copy/pasting than the keyboard, and with both hands on the keyboard, it naturally does not matter where the shortcuts are. One could even use shift insert/delete.

Curiously, most shortcuts I frequently use are now on the homerow :P

Select all
    New tab
    Save
    Break (kill)
    New (window/document)
    Open

I'll gladly knock myself out, but as you said, there's no way I'm going to replicate or refute all current research by myself.

I have no trouble doing the boring work, like calculations, myself. I made this thread to get some brainstorming going and to get some pointers on what's interesting to calculate. I'm definitely digging a little deeper into those evolution algorithms.

Thanks for the comments!
    --s341

Last edited by s341 (14-Jun-2007 19:54:16)

Best of luck in your endeavours, then!  :)

If you were to use shortcuts (which you don't, but for the sake of argument), then even scancode mappings would be less optimal than keeping the keys in place. Motor memory in conflict with "mnemonic" memory (i.e., remembering a key both by position and by letter), application defined shortcuts and their tool tips, and compliance with unmodified physical boards for those who look at the board now and then (which you maybe don't do) are some arguments.

One thing I didn't mention is the ease of going back and forth between your layout and the ubiquitous QWERTY (at work I meet several comps, and can only change a few of them). With the rare keys staying invariant, it's not only easier to learn the new layout but also to jump back and forth once you know the new layout. Even if those keys are rare enough not to matter in speed considerations, they are common enough to make me annoyed if I miss one. I remember this problem from when I used Dvorak.

Last edited by DreymaR (15-Jun-2007 08:57:37)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

s341 said:

Second day, still improving at a nice pace. I have doubled my wpm already (from 10 to 20 ; )
    those statistics are exactly what I'm looking to create! I want to see how well Seruxie's layout performs under statistical scrutiny.

One thing I like about Seruxie's is that it puts - on the main keyboard, and - is more common than ; or '. The 4 most common punctuation are period, comma, dash, apostrophe, semicolon. (Comma is more common in literature.)

However, Seruxie's has some problems of its own. I ran it through my scoring program, and it scored 13.1, as opposed to 12.0 for Colemak and 15.2 for Dvorak. I know that my scoring system hasn't been proven to be accurate, so here are the specific results. (First 2 or 3 digits only, the actual numbers are about 10 digits long.)

Finger travel distance: 128 to Colemak's 119
    Same finger: 48, to Colemak's 27
    Row jumping: 48 to Colemak's 23

I also have results for same hand, row changing, inward rolls and outward rolls, but those aren't as important.

The main problems with Seruxie's:
    -D is on the home row. Switching R and D greatly improves finger travel, but increases same finger a little.
    -It puts J in the Colemak K position, and that position isn't all that hard to hit so it deserves something more common than J. (Actually, I think K is a bit too rare, I think the best would be something like P or B.)
    -Having S and R on the same finger may stress it too much, since these are both pretty common.

I don't think it's as good as Colemak. It is pretty close, but it's still noticeably worse.

• Index
      • General
      • Optimizing for speed / How does Seruxie's layout compare?