• You are not logged in.

Trying Colemak on my Laptop

• Started by muZemike
    • 2 Replies:

I've been test-driving Colemak for a month or so on my laptop, (I still have to use QWERTY on my desktop.) and it's not that bad.

Even though I have to look down on the keyboard a bit more now, it does seem more comfortable to have more commonly-used letters on the home row while, at the same time, not forcing you to relearn everything like what happened to me with trying to learn Dvorak a year or two ago.

I still use that backspace key a lot. I think it's so ingrained in me my relationship with the capslock key being just that, that I'm not used to it.

I would like to see that delete key move closer, as well, but I suppose you would have to move the arrow keys closer, as well, which is not likely.

It'd be helpful to know which operating system you're using.

I'm most familiar with Windows myself. There are possibilities to do what you're after, but not as a MS layout change. That can't even remap CapsLock as you know. It'd have to be an AutoHotKey or other script, but that's not hard to do.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

No, I use Windows XP on my laptop, and I installed that script provided on this site, and everything works fine, including the Caps Lock key.

Anyways, it's not too bad so far. I keep misspelling whech [sic] because I keep hitting "e" instead of "i."