• You are not logged in.

Making better use of the Alt Gr key

• Started by simonh
    • 12 Replies:

I'm using portable Colemak, and never type in any language other than English, so I don't need any international characters. Does anyone know how I can remap the AltGr keys to make them more useful for me? It'd be nice to not have to mess around with AltGr + Shift.

I can't use the installer at work due to a lack of admin rights.

Cheers.

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

Without an installer you don't have any options that I am aware of. Otherwise I recommend Keyboard Layout Manager, which is not free but pretty cheap and powerful.

You'll want to use the Portable Keyboard Layout (Farkas Mate). With that it's possible to create your own layouts either by editing the .ini file for a layout directly or by making a .klc file using MSKLC and then converting that. Haven't done the latter myself, but all it should take is running a perl script and then maybe cleaning up a little.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Ok thanks, I'll look into those options.

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

What is AltGr called on a Mac? Or do Macs have one?

What were you planning on using AltGr for? Were you thinking of a special characters layout like this? http://www.pvv.org/~hakonhal/keyboard/

Last edited by SpeedMorph (19-Jun-2008 18:39:52)

To be honest SpeedMorph, I'm not really sure. One thing that I thought might be good, would be having º as AltGr + D. I'd be interested as to what useful stuff can be mapped to AltGr + key.

Edit: Is it possible to add multiple characters? So I could press AltGr + C, and magically get 'Colemak' for example? Probably not, eh?

Last edited by simonh (19-Jun-2008 20:43:32)

simonh said:

Is it possible to add multiple characters? So I could press AltGr + C, and magically get 'Colemak' for example? Probably not, eh?

Well I know that you can do that with Ukelele, a remapping software for Mac.

• Shai
    • Administrator

AutoHotKey under Windows can do that

Yes, AHK can do that - and it does; he's running Portable Colemak which as you know is a compiled AHK script. But this means that he's already running a keyboard hook and I don't think two hooks will play nice with each other. I remember reading in the documentation that only the first hook will get the press and the next one won't see it unless you explicitly sends it onwards (which will create other side effects).

Hence my suggestion to use the more flexible Portable Keyboard Layout as your AHK hook script. Then you can have everything you liked from Portable Colemak and lose what you didn't like, at the expense of having to make your own layout file.

Last edited by DreymaR (20-Jun-2008 12:11:13)

Looking at the layout.ini in the pkl directory, I have seen this:

[deadkey8]
    0    =   42    ; *
    126  = 8776    ; ~ -> ≈
    99   =  169    ; c -> ©
    114  =  174    ; r -> ®
    110  = 8470    ; n -> №
    100  =  176    ; d -> °
    116  = 8482    ; t -> ™
    109  =  181    ; m -> µ
    112  =  182    ; p -> ¶
    46   = 8230    ; . -> …
    37   = 8240    ; % -> ‰
    43   =  177    ; + -> ±
    60   = 8804    ; < -> ≤
    62   = 8805    ; > -> ≥
    61   = 8800    ; = -> ≠
    124  =  166    ; | -> ¦
    115  =  167    ; s -> §

I'm not sure what all these dead keys are, or how to use them. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

This file is generated from a MSKLC file (.klc) and contains the same type of definitions - i.e., scan codes mapped to unicode points. If they're too technical for you, don't worry and just use the layout.  :)

The dead keys in the standard Colemak layout are described here:
    https://colemak.com/Multilingual#Dead_keys

If you don't know what a dead key, just google it. Wikipedia has a sufficiently nice definition.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_key

Thanks for the links Dreymar. What I was wondering is how do I know which is 'deadkey8'? Looking at the Multilingual Colemak page it states:

° (Degree): AltGr+[\] [d]

Because I use a UK board, my \ is next to '. Typing AltGr + [\] [d] gives me §

Ah yes. If you look at that list it says:
    0    =   42    ; *

I'd suppose the '*' key is the place to look, then. Haven't checked that layout out, but it's as good a guess as the next one I think.