• You are not logged in.

my experiences

• Started by urlwolf
    • 3 Replies:

Well, I'm using typefaster. Stuck on lesson 6.

Trying it cold-turkey, ... it won't work.

Having the keyboard on the screen is of little use to me.

I was a hunt-and peker at 40 WPM. After 2 weeks of abt 1hr daily, I'm still about 10 WPM.

But what I hate the most is that (1) windows has per-application settings. and (2) windows changes kb settings expontaneously!

An way to solve (2)?

-Frustrated

urlwolf said:

But what I hate the most is that (1) windows has per-application settings. and (2) windows changes kb settings expontaneously!

Yes, it's annoying.  One solution is to use Portable Colemak (based on PKL) instead, also from https://colemak.com/Windows.

Another is to ditch Windows and use some UNIX-like instead. ;-)

Both these are fixable with relative ease, although MS chose to hide it well.  :)

In XP: Control Panel -> Regional and Language opt. -> Language -> Details (or if you have the taskbar Language Band, Settings...)

Firstly, choose your Colemak as the Default input language. This will take care of the per-application problem for you. Another alternative is, as mentioned, to delete all non-Colemak layouts in the field below, but if one of them is the current default you'll need to select Colemak as the default anyway (and press Apply) first.

Now, there's a Key Settings... button that'll let you choose which keys switch layouts. It's only active if you have multiple layouts in the middle field. Remove the checks from both Alt- and Ctrl- switching and you should be fine. What's been changing layouts "spontaneously" is that you've pressed Alt and Shift at the same time, most likely.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

urlwolf said:

Having the keyboard on the screen is of little use to me.

I was a hunt-and peker at 40 WPM. After 2 weeks of abt 1hr daily, I'm still about 10 WPM.

Hey, I feel your pain as a former hunter-and-pecker.  I found having the keyboard on the screen initially was just helpful to be sure I stayed accurate.  Does layout show you what key is being to be depressed.  I use a Mac and it indicates the key depressed as I type. I tried not to go to fast to prevent making to many mistakes and only really looked when I felt a little uncertain.  Break up some of the practice with games (Letters and Words) to work on cementing the layout. I think learning to touch type well with Colemak has certainly helped my productivity. Work on 100 most common words will certainly help too.