• You are not logged in.

Learning new layouts

• Started by SpeedMorph
    • 2 Replies:

I noticed something interesting when learning a layout I designed. (I am not using it right now, still learning it.) The typing program I uses teaches 2 keys at a time. I noticed that I never mixed up 2 keys unless I had already been practicing those positions. For instance, my layout puts B in the Colemak G position, and Z in the Colemak B position. While I still hadn't practiced the bottom row, I never accidentally put B in its Colemak position, but as soon as I began practicing typing Z, I accidentally put B in its Colemak position a bunch of times. Any thoughts on this?

What is the best way to maintain speed on 2 layouts while learning a third? Has anyone else ever tried this? What I'm doing is spending most of the day typing on the layout I'm trying to learn, then typing on QWERTY for 4-8 minutes by doing the Ryan Heise typing test a few times. Then I spend the rest of the day on Colemak. Does anyone think there is a better way of doing this? This method does have the added fun bonus. I type slow all day, then I suddenly type way faster.

makdaddyrak said:

haha - dude, you're are a freak! how about giving up some of those extra brain cells so I can get past this 60wpm hump ;)

I tried keeping my dvorak skills while learning colemak....and it was just too much for me...buttt....

one thing that I heard that helped was to keep separate keyboards that were sufficiently different from one another and put only one layout on each? Dunno how that worked, but you might want to try that.  Otherwise, practise, practise, practise.. ;)

I notice that my biggest errors are between layouts. If I type for QWERTY for too long, then on Colemak I keep putting D in its QWERTY spot. Also, my biggest problem with my layout is putting A in its QWERTY/Dvorak/Colemak position. I've been putting A there for 10 years...old habits are hard to break.

I think part of the reason I can learn layouts fairly easily is because I am 14. Younger people can learn faster. Sometimes, though, I wish I had the learning capacity of a three year old. Learning new layouts is still hard.

I can't spare any brain cells, I have to get myself over the 70 WPM hump. Once I reach it on my new layout, I mean.