• You are not logged in.

Stuck at 50WPM for 2 months now. HALP!

• Started by slowpoke
    • 12 Replies:

I have been stuck at 50 words per minute for the past two months. I tried Ryan Heise's tips. I focused on accuracy and rhythm. I tried speed drills, finger drills, common word drills. I took breaks from typing for too long, I even took a week off typing to see if I was just burnt out.

BUT I STILL CANT GET PAST THIS BUMP!

My QWERTY typing speed was 70 words per minute before I switched. Typing is more comfortable now and I know the potential for faster typing is there. I just don't know how to go about it.

Right now, I have near 100% accuracy at 50 words per minute. If I try to go much faster than 50 words per minute, my accuracy starts taking the piss.  What should I do?

Please help.

Thank you

How long were you typing with Qwerty slowpoke? Were you a touch typer? I'm in the same boat as you. Unfortunately, I only get to practice a bit during the day as my job requires very little typing.

I am trying some experiments at the moment that will hopefully soon bear fruit. I have altered my typing position so that my fingers are more arched, which makes reaching even the number row a lot easier. I'll report as to any progress this achieves.

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

I started touch typing six months ago. Before that I was a "search and poke" typer. I almost regret switching from QWERTY now that I think about it because I was doing so well but each time I think about going back, I look at the comparison page and get convinced that I can be much faster on Colemak. It looks really good on paper with very low same finger key presses and the combos.

I am frustrated because my results don't reflect the advantages.

Last edited by slowpoke (17-Jun-2008 14:47:04)

People expect entirely too much. Just because some typists race ahead and reach 100+ WPM with Colemak in a few weeks/months, they expect that their own progress will be fast and unimpeded. Bah. People are different. Just be patient, and you will get better at your own pace. It's happening to me all the time - not fast, but every now and then I notice that I've become better. Meanwhile, enjoy the comfort and coolness.

I was "stuck" around 50 WPM for much more than two months as I remember it. Now I've been "stuck" around 60+ WPM for a few months. I don't complain (much).  :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Any chance of putting those lessons on this thread makdaddyrak if they are just plain text?

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

I suggest being patient and keeping up practice (or just using your computer regularly if you type enough to count as practice).

Personally I'd been typing QWERTY for about 15 years prior to switching to Colemak last August, and even after 266 days (almost 9 months) I've reached "only" 92% of my previous QWERTY speed. That is 66 wpm in Colemak, whereas I reached 72 wpm in QWERTY in the 3 minute "enchanted typewriter" test at typingtest.com.

I do hope to beat my QWERTY speed by the time I reach my first year of typing Colemak this August, and IMO that'd be quite alright. After all that's reaching the speed of 15 years of practice in QWERTY after only a year in Colemak, with more comfort and less risk of typing-related health problems.

Very good point there boli. If Shai is reading this, it may be helpful to remind people that they will probably not match their Qwerty speed in a month or two.

makdaddyrak said:

For "GRAFT", I would use INDEX, MIDDLE, PINKY, MIDDLE, INDEX. All on the left hand, and VERY fast.

For "DECEASED", I would use INDEX, MIDDLE, INDEX, MIDDLE, PINKY, RING, MIDDLE, INDEX. Again all on the left hand, but with a bit of row jumping...still, i could type this word very fast.

Both these words would get highly penalized in current evaluators.

What I have found is that Colemak/kameloc forces me to type "properly", which is not necessarily the same as typing fast. The main shortcuts I would use in Colemak are for words like KNOW, LEDGE, LENGTH, etc.

For "KNOW", I use R-INDEX, R-MIDDLE, R-PINKY, L-RING
    For "LEDGE", I use R-INDEX, R-MIDDLE, L-INDEX, L-MIDDLE, R-MIDDLE

etc.

However, the comfort, and balance of colemak is pretty hard to beat and that's pretty much why I chose to come back to it.

Good luck!

I've not done that a whole lot, but it seems like that would be very confusing, trying to coordinate moving the hand around everywhere to type stuff. I tried your GRAFT and found it very hard. I had to do it several times before I got it right.

I am kind of stuck at 65 WPM (70 at my best). I am currently trying to beat this, and I probably will, it will just take a while. In a thread a while ago, Ryan Heise said the best way to increase once you're stuck is to focus on making very few errors, and when you get good at that, focus on typing as steadily as you can. (This steady part is when having low same finger really comes in handy.)

SimonH: I do not remember my Qwerty speed, but I was on Dvorak for about 5 months and I matched my average speed after 2 months, and matched my record just 2 days ago. Curiously enough, that was the day I started learning my own layout. So learning a new layout doesn't really interfere with old layouts if you do it correctly.

I think tricks like that one will be useful once you're at a high level. Before that I don't think you should learn them as it'll confuse the learning of the good habits. Once you have mastered those it's time for master class.

As an example, Ryan Heise (who I believe is the reigning Colemak speed-typist champion) tells us how he had a "bump" from 90 to 100 WPM but then he started focusing on which words he's good at and which ones he needs to beware of. (On a side note, this reminds me of Chess: Good principles can take you to a decent level but at the top levels you really have to study very hard to learn openings and other heavy stuff!) Once your typing becomes so good that it starts focusing on the word level, I imagine you can also start using tricks in some words. Before that I'm afraid it could be more of a hurdle than a real benefit.

Last edited by DreymaR (18-Jun-2008 06:37:50)

Forum trick: If you have a long "wall of text" to post, you can post it as code! Then it'll show up with a scroll bar. Just encase the text you want to make scrollable in [code] tags.

Thanks for the detailed reply and the lesson plan, Mak. I have a couple of questions. How do you disable the backspace key? Or do you mean I shouldn't even reach for it? I'll try your suggestions and maybe that will do the trick.

I am still stuck at the same speed. 50WPM with 100% accuracy or 60WPM with 94% accuracy.

You must relax slowpoke. I am starting to think that obsessions with becoming fast are the worst enemy for the typist. I was never that bothered about speed with Qwerty, so why am I now? I found this on the 'net today which has calmed my 'need for speed' down a lot:

"I managed to gain 3 wpm today after an epiphany led me to try a new type of drill. The epiphany occurred after reading about Barbara Blackburn, the world’s fastest typist. She learned to type on a Dvorak typewriter in 1938. Her error frequency was supposedly two-tenths of one percent.

My epiphany was that she became such an accurate typist because in 1938 the penalty (in terms of lost time & productivity) of making a typing error was huge. Liquid Paper didn’t exist back then, so you pretty much had to re-type the whole page. Today, the cost of mistyping a letter is minimal – you just hit the backspace key – so there is not much motivation to focus on accuracy.

This epiphany led me to try a new type of drill, one that would force me to type things correctly the first time and be less reliant on the backspace key.

The drill is blind typing pangrams. I mentioned pangrams a few posts ago. A pangram is just a sentence that contains every letter of the alphabet. There are lots of web pages out there with dozens of pangrams (including the Wikipedia article on Pangram). Blind typing is typing without seeing the letters you press appear on the screen. For example, when you are typing in a password field and you only see bullet characters appear, you are blind typing.

Blind typing requires you to really concentrate on accuracy, because you can’t check to see that the character you typed was correct. I found that blind typing forced me to shift from speed to accuracy. Typing pangrams ensured that I covered all the characters on the keyboard. After just blind typing a dozen or so pangrams, I found that my accuracy had improved dramatically.

To do this drill just create a new document in your favorite text editor and position the window so that it is mostly off screen. Then bring up a web page with lots of pangrams on it and start typing those pangrams into that document. You won’t be able to see what you are typing as you are typing it, but you will be able to check what you typed later by dragging the window back onto the screen."

Give it a go.

Here is the link to the entry on 43things: http://www.43things.com/entries/view/3132970