• You are not logged in.

Giving Colemak a Try

• Started by Theino
    • 4 Replies:

I'm 19 years old, currently going to a university in California and majoring in Computer Science. I have been typing on qwerty since I started on computers, which must be about 14-15 years now. I'm currently on Windows on both my laptop and my desktop. I've downloaded TypeFaster and colemak in an attempt to learn it.

I can type a little over 90 wpm using qwerty. I have a couple weeks of down time, so I thought I might as well give colemak a try. I plan to make a total conversion to colemak, ditch qwerty completely for the next couple weeks. This should be the last thing I type using the qwerty keyboard. Wish me luck, I'll keep an updated log here. The next thing I type using colemak =)

Welcome! Since you're a fast typist using QWERTY, you probably shouldn't expect to attain your former speed in a couple of weeks. Just be patient about it, and you should be fine.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Great, just realize that some one that types with Qwerty over 90 wpm and experiences no discomfort is not exactly the target market for Colemak.  It's probably going to take a lot of patience.

Keyboard samurai and dreymar are right, it's going to take time before you reach your 90wpm, but if you take 2 weeks using nothing but colemak and don't use qwerty at all it shouldn't be too hard to switch.  I know the main thing that's slowing me down is the constant switching between colemak and qwerty(I should just keep colemak available even at work, but I'm not technically supposed to be using the computers at work as it is) and on my friends' computers it shouldn't be a problem.

On Windows computers, my USB stick with PKL running from Geek Menu lets me use Colemak with ease anywhere I'm able to use the USB stick.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***