• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Proposal for a newfangled learning method

Proposal for a newfangled learning method

• Started by ezuk
    • 6 Replies:

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share an idea for a new learning system and see what you thought.

The challenge is to transition from QWERTY to Colemak when you already know touch typing using QWERTY. And switching back-and-forth between Colemak and QWERTY can be hassle.

There are only 17 new positions to memorize. So - why not make the switch gradient?

Every 3 days, learn the position of one new key. It works like this:

Your QWERTY layout stays the same. On the first day, there's just a single change: The E key becomes F. And the existing QWERTY F key stops working -- it's just a dead key for that day, does nothing (but it makes a beep when you press it, so you don't end up typing lower instead of flower).

And where does E go? It's still there - you just have to work a bit to get to it. When you hit QWERTY "E" key once, it sends an F. But if you are actually trying to type an E, just hit the E key rapidly two times ("double-tap").

And you just work like this for a while. For the first few hours, it's going to be really irritating - but your overall typing speed would not be greatly reduced. You're still using your QWERTY skill, but getting used to finding F somewhere else.

After a few days, you'll find that you no longer hunt-and-peck for the F key. You just know where it is, and type it easily. Great! It's time to add another key to your layout. And so, the QWERTY R becomes "P" (but stays R on double-tap). And the QWERTY P just dies, becomes a dead beeping key for now.

When eventually the "F" key gets added as a single-stroke key, double-tapping the QWERTY "E" key stops working. It just makes a beep. And you then remember to hit the correct key for E.

Remember -- this whole process is supposed to take a month or two. But it has the following advantages:

1) You keep your QWERTY productivity more or less intact, without feeling guilty about being so slow at work

2) You don't have to dedicate time to lessons - it's integrated right in your workflow

3) You have just a single key to remember. Not a whole layout -- just one key. You can make a sticky note "E = F" and stick it on your monitor. That's all you have to remember at any given point in this process.

Once "E = F" becomes second nature, you move on, and your mantra becomes "R = P" for the next few days. But by that time you don't need the "E = F" sticky note.

Technically, this whole system could be done using AutoHotkey (including the double-taps and beeps and disabling keys etc etc).

So, what do you think? Am I way off base here, or does this actually sound like an interesting idea?

Last edited by ezuk (13-Jul-2008 12:26:08)

Sounds like it might have promise, but I prefer the old fashioned way personally.

I think that personally I rather do it cold turkey and mess with my brain once rather than 17 times. :)

Other thoughts:

1) How would you type double characters, like "ee" in feed? Maybe with a modifier key rather than double-tapping, or with a particular double-tapping delay for double-characters vs. the QWERTY character?

2) Why start with a relatively unimportant key like F rather than an important one like E? Using your method this would mean disabling the QWERTY E key, putting the E character on the QWERTY K position, and putting the K character on the same position somehow (see previous point). With this approach, one reaps the benefits as early as possible, by putting an important character onto the home row. Because it's a frequent key it will be learned quickly. And because K is not frequent the method of reaching it (be it by double-tapping or using a modifier) wouldn't be used as much.

3) At some point the method to reach a particular QWERTY characters will have to change. Using my previous example that would be when one puts the K character to the QWERTY N position. One would have to switch from accessing K with the method from point 1) to just pressing the QWERTY N position (the N character would supposedly have been moved to the Colemak N position earlier already). So with the first change one would have to relearn E and K, and in a later step one would have to relearn K yet again.

All in all I think this would just add to the confusion compared to a clean break (=cold turkey switch). Maybe the swapping or rotating keys approach would be a bit better than this double-tap idea, but the swapping method is probably better suited to those ideas that improve on QWERTY by swapping 2 keys at a time. The end result of that however is a layout that has frequent keys on the home row, but has issues like same-finger, hurdles etc. compared to Colemak...

Last edited by boli (13-Jul-2008 14:59:13)
    • Shai
    • Administrator

See also the Learning it one hand at a time?! thread.

Shai said:

Toda Shai! I've continued that thread. It's exactly along my line of thinking on this.

That seems very annoying. I don't like learning one key at a time. Some people might, though. Back when I was using Dvorak, I switched the I and U keys, and dropped 10 words per minute. It took me several days to get it back. At the rate of 3 days per key, that would be a month and a half of just learning time. I can learn a new layout the normal way and be up to close to my original speed in 2 weeks. (It takes another 2 months to get from 50 to 60 WPM, but I don't think using this 1-key-at-a-time method would maintain 60 WPM.)

SpeedMorph said:

That seems very annoying. I don't like learning one key at a time. Some people might, though. Back when I was using Dvorak, I switched the I and U keys, and dropped 10 words per minute. It took me several days to get it back. At the rate of 3 days per key, that would be a month and a half of just learning time. I can learn a new layout the normal way and be up to close to my original speed in 2 weeks. (It takes another 2 months to get from 50 to 60 WPM, but I don't think using this 1-key-at-a-time method would maintain 60 WPM.)

Well, so far I switched IUL, and I just did 51wpm at the hi-games test.

Oh, but I'm not doing this -- I'm doing DreymaR's "Tarmac" learning system. Check out my post over at the Experience forum.

I agree -- it might not be the most efficient method, because the overall learning time may be greater. But I like this method because the "lowest low" of wpm, throughout the process, is still not _that_ low (For example, I can maintain an IM conversation without seeming very slow). So I can use it during the day and not feel guilty about working very slowly.

• Index
      • General
      • Proposal for a newfangled learning method