• You are not logged in.

Troubles with the left hand

• Started by Isaac
    • 6 Replies:

This not specifically about Colemak, but since I'm learning this layout, I might as well post this here.

I am trying to learn to touch type properly for the first time. Looking at a diagram of which finger hits which key, I noticed the problem with the left hand:

layout1ag6.png

The left hand columns are staggered to the right, just like the right hand columns. But it doesn't feel natural. My left ring and middle fingers keep looking for the X and C, as moving them down-and-right feels awkward.

So I wanted to find out what are the most comfortable and natural-feeling movements for my fingers. I placed my fingers on the home row, at their usual positions. Now, I reached for the top and bottom rows, but according to what feels right, instead of following the above diagram. I came up with this:

layout2ed9.png

So yes, basically the left hand columns are staggered to the left now, putting the wrist in a more natural position, like on ergonomic keyboards. It's a bit of a mess though. I think it's because the amount of "skew" of each staggered row is not the same, so what feels natural for the left hand is not a mirror of what feels natural for the right hand.

So, do you guys think I should go that path? Or did you all feel that awkwardness with the movement of left hand at first, and then it went away? I'm also a bit worried about finger balance, now that I hit slightly different keys.

You can do that. There are problems with it though. Mainly, it overuses the left index finger and increases same finger use with the relatively common TC digraph. The solution DreymaR found (correct me if I'm wrong) was to shift B, V, C, and X one to the left, and put Z in the B position. That way everything is being typed with the correct finger except Z, but it's still more comfortable.

Last edited by SpeedMorph (19-Jul-2008 19:57:06)

Yeah, I would do the same left shift, but put the Z under the O and move the / to the worst position of the keyboard... in the original B position like so:

layouthsdg7.png

I haven't shifted the bottom row,  but I am pretty much doing what you suggest for the left hand for number row.  I hit 6^ with my left hand most of the time and sometimes use ringer for 2, though if I pivot on my left index finger to use the pinky pretty often too.   I don't have that much trouble with B or Z to really warrant changing it around.

Yeah, I see now that the topic of left bottom row shift came up before. I should have searched better.
    It looks really neat. Such a simple solution, and now the left hand can be as comfortable as the right hand. And I like makdaddyrak's suggestion :)
    I wonder why this is not official Colemak. I'd imagine everyone would benefit from more ergonomic outward wrist motions (whatever keyboard you may have), and it's not upsetting Colemak's finger balance.

Anyway, my next question would be, how do I go about implementing this? I would imagine I would have to create this layout myself, but how?

Isaac said:

I wonder why this is not official Colemak. I'd imagine everyone would benefit from more ergonomic outward wrist motions (whatever keyboard you may have), and it's not upsetting Colemak's finger balance.

Well, some of us already have a keyboard with non-staggered keys:
    https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?pid=3433#p3433

:)

Isaac said:

Anyway, my next question would be, how do I go about implementing this? I would imagine I would have to create this layout myself, but how?

And to answer my own question: use AutoHotKey! lol.. Yeah I'm slow, but I figured it out :) I just took Colemak's ahk script and modified some values. Couldn't be simpler. So, no more excuses. Time to learn this layout in earnest.