• You are not logged in.

A quirk with the Norwegian Mac keyboard:

• Started by DreymaR
    • 2 Replies:

I mentioned this in Padde's topic, but I've discovered that the problem applies when using Shai's layout as well. It's a Mac tech issue, but with luck maybe someone knows something about it.

The Norwegian keyboards have the special letter Ø in the QWERTY ";" / Colemak "O" position. Now, using a Mac .layout file to get Colemak works perfectly for normal typing including web browsers and Java - but in some Flash apps like the Air Typer or 2addicted's Letters game linked to from the Learning page, the O (on the Ø key) doesn't seem to be working. Actually, in the Letters game the O works when entering your nick but not in the game proper. Interestingly, it works perfectly in the sister game Words.

I normally use Windows and there the Ø key has a VKEY mapping as an OEM_#; so it's not marked quite like the normal letter keys to the system but more as a rare punctuation key. Could something similar be the issue here? Could something be done about it? It'd be nice if a remapping doesn't lose system functionality of any kind, including typing in Flash apps.

Last edited by DreymaR (31-Dec-2006 22:07:40)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Shai
    • Administrator

Does this problem persist when you use USExtended.keylayout?
    (from /System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/Unicode.bundle/Contents/Resources/)
    If so, it's a bug in Flash or Mac OS X.

I don't have a Mac, so I might not be able to help you with this.

The problem couldn't occur with the US QWERTY layouts since the games don't use the ";" character. (Sorry, my post was unclear about which key is the problematic one. Edited.)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***