• You are not logged in.

How to tweak colemak?

• Started by Nicolas
    • 3 Replies:

I really don't like the position of the hyphen and I know that it's possible to modify the Colemak layout. What is the best (suggested) method to do this? I'm using XP, by the way. Thanks

I use Keyboard layout manager, which is free for the simpler versions. Other programs include the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, which is free but not as good in my opinion.

What makes the Keyboard Layout Manager (free versions) better than MSKLC, in your opinion?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Virtual key code editing (or resolving in the free version) - although you can get by if you are happy to hand edit the generated file. Also, I feel the interface is a lot nicer, especially if you tinker a bit. For instance, there is no export step, just save and reboot.

The non-free version has many other advantages. Caps lock special settings, special key editing (space, tab, return). Ligatures and dead keys. There's more stuff, but to be honest I can't remember exactly what features the Microsoft tool has so I don't want to risk spreading misinformation.