• You are not logged in.

Caps Lock as Control (Windows)

• Started by mrd
    • 3 Replies:
    • mrd

I use a small registry script to convert Caps Lock to Control on Windows (and xmodmap in X).  I would like to preserve this behavior while trying Colemak.  It is my understanding though that installing a new layout will overwrite my current one.  Is there an easy way to get Colemak and CapsLock->Control?

If you install the Colemak Windows layout using the .msi file (which only installs the layout .dll file), your control keys won't change. In fact, these are unmappable by the normal keyboard layout method so Shai's install file uses a registry script in addition to the layout proper for the CapsLock trick.

I have no idea about X.

If I were you though, I'd look into getting the Backspace function closer to the action nevertheless. It's a good idea.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• mrd

I agree, but I generally use higher level deletion functions in my editors: such as delete-word, line or s-expression.

• Shai
    • Administrator

The Windows installation doesn't modify any existing registry mappings and it doesn't overwrite any other keyboard layouts.

I _highly recommend_ for the first two weeks when the error rate is very high to keep the Caps Lock key mapped as Backspace. Afterwards you'll be able to make a more informed decision if you're better off with it as a Ctrl or Backspace.

Ctrl-Backspace in most editors and operating systems acts as delete word, so it's also very comfortable in Colemak to do when Caps Lock is mapped to Backspace by hitting Ctrl+CapsLock. Remember that you have two Ctrl keys, so don't use just the left one.