• You are not logged in.

CAPSoff.org competition

• Started by Qwertie
    • 3 Replies:

Hmm, this "million-dollar keyboard competition" is obviously not being treated seriously. The "top" two designs are totally crazy. One has "air bags", random letters on its "5-way keys" (various keys apparently can't be typed at all), while being highly unergonomic, with a poorly-made diagram). The other looks like something drawn in Season 1 of The Simpsons (weird shape, triangular keys...). These designs no doubt jumped into the winning position by fraudulent means (as noted by the admins), yet for some reason they get to keep their votes.

The legitimate winner is Colemak, yet it has only 14 votes. And the prize is $241.

I'm disappointed. I had really hoped this competition would mean something... get some media attention, or at least get the blogosphere going. But with Colemak only getting 14 votes? And when people visit that site and see those top two entries? Sigh. It doesn't look good.

Last edited by Qwertie (28-Dec-2006 07:33:42)

I quickly wrote off that competition as bogus, in light of those oddball leading entries. The most interesting content in there is probably the discussion you had with Shai.

I still tried to cast a Colemak vote, but upon discovering that you had to register first I lost momentum and moved on.

After all, CapsOff seems to rate fairly high on the geekometer. I don't see it getting much press except in the novelty-of-the-month category.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Well, the geek press is better than no press. A Slashdot entry on it might interest geeks and geeks, more than less enthusiastic computer users, might appreciate the value of keyboards like Colemak.

I didn't checked CAPSoff in awhile, so I was a bit confused how Colemak won. I then read the comments made by an admin on the two keyboard layouts before Colemak, and I understood.

Well, the keyboard that deserve to win, has won. Congratulation!!

Last edited by Golden_Hammer (04-Jan-2007 15:12:36)