• You are not logged in.

A word from Daniel Chen

• Started by DreymaR
    • 9 Replies:

I found a small interview with master typist Daniel Chen. He recommends Hanon! Oh me oh my, the memories of those boring etudes...  ;)

Anyway, I'm reposting that here because I think his point that people who wish to excel must train their weak fingers, is a good one. It also shows that to really succeed I should've started at the age of four. Bleh.

Daniel Chen said:

As for keyboarding, I knew how to touchtype at a very young age by practising the traditional
    8/9-finger style for QWERTY on my old Apple IIc computer back in 1994. I could type English at
    300 cpm when I was only six years old, and I started to play the piano when I was seven. This,
    of course, helped with my keyboarding as well. I more or less achieved the speed that I am at
    now when I was in middle school, in grade 7 (year 2000). For keyboarding, developing strong
    and independent fingers is especially important, particularly in the left hand, which is the
    weaker hand for most people. This weakness, often most pronounced in the 4th and 5th fingers,
    can be improved by practising Hanon piano exercises with regularity.”
    Daniel Chen

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

All my fingers are fairly strong, and I still relatively suck at typing. Only 75 WPM after 8 years (starting at age 6). :( That's still good advice though.

If 150 WPM is "master", what's Barbara Blackburn?

SpeedMorph said:

150 wpm sustained, 170 peak (according to Wikipedia).

But don't compare yourself to such exceptional experts.  75 wpm is good, far better than average computer users.

150 wpm sustained, 170 peak (according to Wikipedia).

I'm sure I read somewhere that her speed record is something like 212 wpm.

75 wpm is good, far better than average computer users.

I've never met anyone in person that is faster than about 80 wpm. 75 wpm is pretty good. Remember, true skill such as what we are now talking about takes several years to develop.

SpeedMorph said:

World Champion!

If your point is that 150 WPM sustained doesn't qualify as master level, I beg to differ rather strongly. In my book, anyone managing 120+ sustained is a typing master - and I wouldn't be opposed to defining it closer to 100 either. In my book therefore, there's at least one Colemak typist who approaches or has reached the master level; I'm not sure what speeds Ryan Heise can manage sustained but with a record of 126 WPM he should be up there.

Maybe we have different understandings of the word "master"? Merriam-Webster has "an artist, performer, or player of consummate skill"; that's what I meant.

Last edited by DreymaR (02-Sep-2008 18:21:07)

DreymaR said:
    SpeedMorph said:

World Champion!

If your point is that 150 WPM sustained doesn't qualify as master level, I beg to differ rather strongly. In my book, anyone managing 120+ sustained is a typing master - and I wouldn't be opposed to defining it closer to 100 either. In my book therefore, there's at least one Colemak typist who approaches or has reached the master level; I'm not sure what speeds Ryan Heise can manage sustained but with a record of 126 WPM he should be up there.

Maybe we have different understandings of the word "master"? Merriam-Webster has "an artist, performer, or player of consummate skill"; that's what I meant.

I wasn't saying he wasn't a master. But BB is a lot better. BB minus DC = me.

I'd say...
    <30 = beginner
    30-50 = intermediate
    50-80 = skilled
    80-130 = expert
    130-180 = master
    >180 = ridiculous

I've seen the 80 WPM mark mentioned elsewhere in classifications. They're fairly arbitrary on the whole, but I might venture:

00-40 = novice
    40-50 = intermediate
    50-60 = high intermediate
    60-80 = skilled
    80-100 = expert
    100-120 = high expert
    120-160 = master
    160+ = prodigy

:)

No NO .. you guys are both way off! The real classification is:

<50 = beginner
    50-75 = intermediate
    75-100 = IM nerd
    100-125 = uber-nerd makin' the rest of us IM-nerds look bad
    125+ = umm...you reaaalllyyy need to get out more.* ;)

there. Fix'd. haha

* Not applicable to prodigies and those lucky bastards who attained that speed before teenage years. %#@$ Y**! j/k ;)

" old Apple IIc computer back in 1994. "  ?

that was definitely old.    or was that 1984?

My cousin still had his Apple II in 1992. That brings back memories...In 1994, I got a second-hand Compaq 386-20 from my rich best-friend when he upgraded to a 486-33DX. That thing was FAAAAAAAAsttt! It could play Wing Commander so smoothly! :)

Ahh, the good ole' days of no responsibility, where the biggest problem I had to worry about was getting a 1600 on the SATs, and practise my kissing technique in my neighbour, Sarah so my first kiss with Lynn would be perfect... the terms "cheating" and "infidelity" were novel concepts for me at the time. hahaha.