• You are not logged in.

My progress on Colemak

• Started by SpeedMorph
    • 17 Replies:

<iframe src="http://hi-games.net/typing-test/embed.cgi" width="400" height="300" vspace="0" hspace="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="border: 0px;"></iframe>

That's my current typing speed record after just over 1 day (cold turkey), a net typing time of about 5 hours on Colemak. I am coming from 65-70 WPM on Dvorak after 6 months. My Dvorak speed hadn't increased for 4 months, and was still just below my QWERTY speed.

Note: I am keeping Caps Lock, but moved delete to return and return to tilde. I just now changed it, so I'm still getting used to it, resulting in a lot of accidental deletings.

Okay I'm not sure if that link works, but I got 18 WPM.

Last edited by SpeedMorph (21-Apr-2008 13:56:28)

Bad link, but that's sure quicker progress than I made after one day.  I think I'll test myself tomorrow . . .

Keep after it . . . they say it gets easier . . . Or maybe this is just a gigantic joke being played by some guys who want me to feel like a spaz :) If that's the case, it's sure working lol

Pavel said:

Bad link, but that's sure quicker progress than I made after one day.  I think I'll test myself tomorrow . . .

Keep after it . . . they say it gets easier . . . Or maybe this is just a gigantic joke being played by some guys who want me to feel like a spaz :) If that's the case, it's sure working lol

Well once you get fairly close to your original speed, it feels a lot better. I know how you feel, I haven't reached that yet. (But I know from learning Dvorak.)

I've noticed that I can do common digraphs very quickly. When typing "on", it might take me a second to find the O, but I then instantly type N.

That's my experience exactly - a handful of letters are entrenched, but most still try to work on muscle memory until I've got a word underway.

Another thing I've noticed:

I'm coming from Dvorak, and D and E are in Dvorak positions but on the opposite hand. This is really annoying and I usually hit that key with the wrong hand. To a lesser extent I have the same problem with R, which switches hands and moves down 1.

Another annoying thing is the HE digraph, which requires an awkward stretch.

I can type certain digraphs really fast, but my error rate is obnoxiously huge.

Good luck. BTW I'd recommend focusing on accuracy rather than speed.

boli said:

Good luck. BTW I'd recommend focusing on accuracy rather than speed.

Thanks for that. I was doing a hi-games.net test, and started focusing on accuracy. My overall speed (with errors factored in) dropped a little, probably because I haven't found the point at which I can't type any faster without losing accuracy, but I'm getting close. It feels a LOT better to not kill my fingers with all that rapid typing and backspacing.

Well something interesting has happened. My speed increased steadily for the first 2 weeks, until I reached 50 WPM. Now, about 1 month after that, I have finally reached 63 WPM peak and about 61 WPM average. That final increase took forever.

makdaddyrak said:
    SpeedMorph said:

Well something interesting has happened. My speed increased steadily for the first 2 weeks, until I reached 50 WPM. Now, about 1 month after that, I have finally reached 63 WPM peak and about 61 WPM average. That final increase took forever.

Dayamnnnnnnn! 50wpm in 2 weeks?!!? CRAAAAZY! What was your highest QWERTY typing speed?  It's been 1 week and I'm around 10-15 WPM atm. :(

I was at 75 WPM on QWERTY, but that must be wrong because I was at 65 WPM on Dvorak after 6 months. Probably I was at about 65 WPM on QWERTY. I probably can learn so fast because I've learned 3 layouts. I will probably learn more in the future (but revert to Colemak if they aren't as good) and I think it will get easier and easier. I'll probably try Capewell, and expect to be at 50 WPM in under 2 weeks.

Interestingly, my QWERTY speed has increased since learning Colemak. It was at 30 when I was on Dvorak, and now it's at 40. This is probably because I use it more. I remapped a couple of Colemak keys, and it doesn't work for some applications so I have to use QWERTY.

• Shai
    • Administrator

When I was going from QWERTY to Colemak I experienced the same thing with keys that are in the same position but on a different hand. Even after a year of using Dvorak it still happened to me from time to time.

I designed Colemak in a way so that won't happen between QWERTY and Colemak, but Colemak isn't designed for people coming from Dvorak.

I used Dvorak for 6 months and Colemak for 4 months, and on neither of those did I reach my QWERTY speed of 75 WPM. I kind of stopped at 65. Also the layout that I designed is comfortable, but it feels slow compared to QWERTY. Since I have no RSI problems, I'm switching back to QWERTY until I get some good keypress timing data. So my question is: Why am I 10 WPM faster on QWERTY? Will I have to practice for 5 years with another layout to get that fast? The problem isn't trying to remember multiple keyboards: when I was using Dvorak, I didn't use QWERTY at all.

I've looked into this a bit after seeing several similar reports. Some people need only a couple months to match and surpass their qwerty speed, whereas other people seem to need about a year to match their previous speed. Myself, I needed six months. Remember you are competing against ten+ years of qwerty usage.

My advice is to chill out and stick to a single layout, Dvorak, Colemak, or your own, with a bit more perseverance.

tomlu said:

I've looked into this a bit after seeing several similar reports. Some people need only a couple months to match and surpass their qwerty speed, whereas other people seem to need about a year to match their previous speed. Myself, I needed six months. Remember you are competing against ten+ years of qwerty usage.

My advice is to chill out and stick to a single layout, Dvorak, Colemak, or your own, with a bit more perseverance.

Well for now I'm trying to find the best layout for me (and improve upon my layout), and when I do, I'll settle down. For now, I'm using QWERTY again.

Maybe I can compare my learning to other people. On Colemak, it took me 2 weeks to reach 50 WPM and 2 months to reach 65. It was a little slower on my layout, because I was trying to maintain speed on Colemak and QWERTY, which I gave up on because I forgot to practice Colemak one day and lost all accuracy. I didn't keep track of it on Dvorak, but I think it was about the same.

I didn't realize you already switched to QWERTY. How long have you been using it, and what's your current speed?

Just like the first time, I hit 50wpm today on my 2week mark with Dvorak, but I'm finding it more difficult to keep my accuracy high. The good news is that my muscle memory for dvorak is coming back, but now I'm able to switch to Kameloc and type at roughly similar speeds. 45-60 on Colemak, 35-50 on Dvorak. Crazy, huh?

makdaddyrak said:

I didn't realize you already switched to QWERTY. How long have you been using it, and what's your current speed?

Just like the first time, I hit 50wpm today on my 2week mark with Dvorak, but I'm finding it more difficult to keep my accuracy high. The good news is that my muscle memory for dvorak is coming back, but now I'm able to switch to Kameloc and type at roughly similar speeds. 45-60 on Colemak, 35-50 on Dvorak. Crazy, huh?

That's crazy!

My speed on QWERTY? About 70-75 WPM, sometimes more. I've been using it for about 8 years. I reverted to QWERTY because I want to find a better layout before I really dedicate a lot of time to a new one. I will occasionally use my layout, such as when programming, if I just want something more comfortable.

Whoops. I misunderstood your situation. I thought you were constantly trying new layouts, one after another. I didn't realise you used them all simultaneously.

I assumed that after you switched to colemak, your starting qwerty speed dropped... and when you switched to mtgap, your colemak speed dropped, etc...

It's very impressive that you're at roughly 70-75 on all these layouts! VERY!

makdaddyrak said:

Whoops. I misunderstood your situation. I thought you were constantly trying new layouts, one after another. I didn't realise you used them all simultaneously.

I assumed that after you switched to colemak, your starting qwerty speed dropped... and when you switched to mtgap, your colemak speed dropped, etc...

It's very impressive that you're at roughly 70-75 on all these layouts! VERY!

Lol, I wish. I used Dvorak, then Colemak and QWERTY, then tried to maintain Colemak, QWERTY, and my layout but forgot to practice Colemak 1 day and my speed instantly dropped to about 20 WPM. So now I just know my layout and QWERTY.