• You are not logged in.

Tried a bit, a couple of issues

• Started by xorsyst
    • 9 Replies:

I've be using colemak on and off (mostly off...) for the past week and am up to about 16 wpm, but I still have a couple of issues:

1. Sometimes I need capslock.  I've got really used to using it for backspace, but also use the backspace key sometimes.  What do others do about this?

2. I just cannot get my head around the r and s placement - why isn't s in the same place as qwerty? I reckon I have more errors on that pair than the rest of the keyboard put together :(  Do/did others find this?

Cheers,
    X.

I have only been using Colemak for 10 days (exclusively), but hopefully this post will help you.

1. When I need to type something all caps I just hold down the shift key. Not an ideal solution but it works.
    2. I think the placement of the r/s keys has to do with the fact that you can utilise rolls much more efficiently (Eg. years, pears, stars, cars, gears, first, thirst, worst, burst, etc.). Although the placement is frustrating at first, I think that as I become more used to the layout I have been having less and less difficulty with it.

I placed the CapsLock on the right-hand Windows key instead. I don't use it much there, but at least it is somewhere.

Yes, the r and s are placed that way because of rolls, but I think also because of same-finger. I had trouble with it too in the start and I think many have, but it's no problem anymore luckily.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I like the idea of right windows key for caps-lock.  How do I do that with the autohotkey script?

Put this line in an autohotkey script:

RWin::CapsLock

https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm

I wish the AHK script could have that line in it - commented out so that people could see it and implement it if they wanted to (or take the idea and tweak it if they wanted that). Another candidate could be the ScrollLock, which also has the advantage of being a LEDed key. Might take a few extra script lines to get those in sync, of course.

Last edited by DreymaR (08-Oct-2008 19:36:27)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

In PKL Caps Lock is Shift+Caps Lock.

But, DreymaR, do you know how I can get an additional AltGr key? I tried for example LWin={LControl & RAlt}, but it doesn't work.

The keyboard map determines whether you use AltGr or not. If your right Alt is already an AltGr, then LWin::RAlt should do it.

Last edited by tomlu (09-Oct-2008 19:46:44)

I used to get r and s mixed up all the time, and complained about it on this forum too! :) It was the biggest problem I had when learning Colemak too.

However not anymore, just give it time, your fingers will learn it eventually.

I had the problem with r and s mixes up too early on, it was definitely in the top 5 of problems.  Now it's not a problem anymore.