• You are not logged in.

Beginning My Colemak Journey ^_^

• Started by bunnyfly
    • 15 Replies:

Hi everybody! I've been lurking for awhile, but now that I'm beginning to actually try to use Colemak, I thought I could make a "my progress thread" for myself to keep track of my improvement, give me an excuse to practice, and for any interested people. (This is the first text outside of my typing program I'm writing in Colemak and it's taking FOREVER!)

I just took an online test (http://hi-games.net/typing-test/) to see where I'm starting at. I've been touch typing Qwerty for 17 years or so...since I was 6. I just typed 70wpm. I'm usually at 65.

I had a brief fling with Dvorak when I was 15, but it didn't lead to anything.

I started Colemak a few days ago after looking into Colemak vs Dvorak vs Arensito vs Capewell vs BULPKM (Carpalx) for about 3 months. I'm anything but impulsive when it comes down to tech stuff. After narrowing it down through Carpalx's research and my own personal/aesthetic choices, it was a toss up between Colemak and BULPKM, two of the most efficient layouts possible according to the Carpalx algorithm, nearly tied and both easily beating Dvorak. I choose Colemak because it has a bit more "flow" and "finger rolling" than BULPKM, both have ZXCV, but Colemak is slightly closer to Qwerty, and there is a Colemak community and growing standard/popularity. All that to say, if I had spent all that time practicing both rather than merely reading and dreaming about them, I'd be miles ahead of where I am now!

To learn, I've been using KTouch for probably less than 10 hours. I just tested my Colemak speed at 15 then 17 wpm!

My favorite parts about Colemak are "rst/art/ast" "ly" "ien" and my favorite...I LOVE "oun" for some reason!

What I hate is what it's going to do to VIM and my web browsing (I use VIMperator which makes Firefox work VI-style which has drastically improved my online experience) I've looked into the suggested solutions, but am not too crazy about them at all. A huge price to pay, but probably worth it.

I'll keep you updated on my progress!

Last edited by bunnyfly (11-Oct-2013 08:00:25)

Welcome and good luck. I'm sure you know by now that it's going to be really tough for a week or two, but it should be well worth it because of the increased comfort.

I use vim and am very happy with how it works with colemak. You do have to invest some time to customise your vimrc. On the flipside I found I got a lot better at vim in the process.

Vimperator has a vimrc file as well, so you can change its key mappings too I believe.

I use vi/vim too, but I deliberately have not modified it in any way for Colemak, because at work I use vi on hundreds of machines hence I want to keep it stock. :-)

After the initial Colemak learning phase, I haven't noticed any problems when using Vi.  The only somewhat common mistake is pressing "u" (undo) instead of "i" (insert) because Colemak-U is in Qwerty-I position and it sometimes happens when I'm looking at the (Qwerty) keyboard.  It always causes a few seconds of confusion (where did my text go??) but is then easily repaired. :-)

good luck. ....   

my favs by the way are ...  "are" "ing"  "tion"  ....

(((3 Days Post Qwerty - 30 Colemak wpm - 14 Qwerty wpm)))

Hi everybody! Thanks for the responses : )

So far I've had my keyboard set to Colemak as default for 3 days. Now that I know all the positions, I haven't used KTouch since my 1st post. I switched it back to Qwerty for longer writing the first day, but otherwise, it's been only sporadic light typing the last two days. I just tested 30wpm! It's slow but the mental strain is gone and I figure that it won't take too long to get to an acceptable 60 if I have 30wpm after a few days.

Oh my gosh...I just tested my Qwerty (two days without it)...I typed 14 wpm with more errors than Colemak! :-S Scary. I'm sure I could return to 65-70 with 10 minutes of typing though.

No update on VIM. I'm not doing any text work for another two months, so there's no rush, but I've been looking into possible ways to remap it. I like to talk the commands as I VIM, which only really works with mnemonics, but I might have to do a spatial layout.

Oh - as for the reasons to switching - not really comfort. I never have pain unless I rest my wrists on the desk, but that hurts me whether I'm typing or not. Not really speed, although I think I might type faster with Colemak. I think it's just that I had to do it after finding out about a better layout that wasn't Dvorak...to sleep at night. Kindof like my new need to find a non-staggered keyboard that I like (I don't want to have to build it! But Maltron's Executive, Typematrix, Plum, none of them appeal to me...maybe if Typematrix had Maltron/Kineses thumb keys...)

Last edited by bunnyfly (11-Oct-2013 08:00:13)

very good progress! :)

bunnyfly said:

[...] my new need to find a non-staggered keyboard that I like (I don't want to have to build it! But Maltron's Executive, Typematrix, Plum, none of them appeal to me...maybe if Typematrix had Maltron/Kineses thumb keys...)
    [chloe]

In case you haven't seen this: Experiences with a few keyboards with grid layout, and pictures of various grid keyboards:
    Non-staggered keys AKA matrix or grid layout, especially the Kinesis

As a first approximation, I'd do nada about Vim and just use it as it is with Colemak. Seems to work well enough. Later on, look into Shai's suggested changes as I think they're really interesting. There will be better help images and such shortly (both for the vim with colemak and Shai's colemak.vim), but I can't give an exact ETA on it.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

6 Days Post Qwerty - 45wpm

It seems that each day I go up 5 to 10 wpm. For practice, I've done 5-10 typing tests a day. (hi-games.net/typing-test) I might slow down as I get closer to my Qwerty speed, but if I could make it back up to 65 before the 10 day mark, I'll be happy! I'm going to be doing a lot of my own writing tonight, so I'm expecting a nice little jump in my speed tomorrow morning after it's sunk in : )

Boli - thanks for the link to the post. I've been trying to find the Cherry with 142 keys for awhile (http://www.cherry.de/english/products/k … _16752.htm) but the closest I can find are really expensive ones on ebay - except they have a touchpad on them, and thus don't have enough keys horizontally for my ideal layout. I actually took apart a spare numpad I had, thinking I might try to hollow out a spot below the spacebar to fit a 6x2 row of thumb keys - it would be nearly beautiful, except I don't know how I'd attach wires onto the tracks of the flexy "circuit paper" that scissor switch keyboards use to make it all work : (

DreymaR - I did look at Shai's layout, but it really isn't for me. When I first started with VIM, I tried to map out a spatial layout like Shai's, with movement on the right and editing on the left, and I liked it, but ended up sticking with a slightly modified default. Right now I think I am staying with that like you're suggesting, just rotating the arrows of course. But things like ';' being off the home row and s/S still being on it (which I have never found personally useful to my VIMing) are making me consider remaking my old spatial layout.

Anyways, that's that : ) thanks for the input, suggestions, and encouragement!

Last edited by bunnyfly (11-Oct-2013 08:01:17)

Wow, 45 wpm in 6 days is just mind-boggling - on the same level as Ryan Heise. I'm envious I must admit, as it took me 266 days to reach 65 wpm...

Interesting keyboard - not sure what I'd do with the additional rows though. I guess one could use the bottom-most row for the thumbs, and the five rows above for characters (3 rows), numbers (1 row) and F# keys (1 row). Or maybe use two rows for the thumbs... so what is your ideal layout?

Heh : ) thanks Boli. Sorry to disappoint, but the very next day, after a week of daily 5+ wpm leaps, I stopped dead. I made it to 50wpm in a week without serious effort or typing sessions, but now, 5 days later and 12 days post switch, I'm STILL stuck at a frustratingly consistant 52-53wpm! In the past week I HAVE had a few longer writing sessions and even practiced at hi-games a bit more regularly, but no improvement. The only progress I made was that when I slowed down and tried to make each stroke in even rhythm, I made less mistakes, and even though it felt like I was typing much slower, I was actually typing just as fast. Although, that ruins the point of Colemak's lovely rolls...but I'm sure as I settle more into the layout I'll begin to start rolling more without mistakes and the beauty of Colemak will return.

So yeah. No 65wpm in 10 days for me...although I suppose that stopping a big below 65 is to be expected as I typed 65 in Qwerty having grown up with it...some sort of an 80%/20% rule? Not that it's a contest, but I have 12 wpm to go within 252 days to beat you! Hehe. Think I can do it? ; ) Okay it IS a contest! Go!

As to my ideal layout, it would be similar to the Kinesis / Maltron boards in that it would be non-staggered, split, and put the thumbs to use, but flat, with straight rows, and a standard layout up top. On the thumbs, a change would be to have shift as the main left thumb key. I'd also leave extra  standard Shift-Ctrl-Menu-Start-Alt keys where they are on the left side in addition to the ones on the thumbs, but remove the ones on the right to make room for a normal inverse T arrow key positioned like a laptop's in the bottom right. I'd also have a Fn key to have a second layer of shortcuts, along with a numpad, like a laptop...only it'd work because it wouldn't be staggered : ) That's the most of it...nothing too incredible, just a hybrid Typematrix/Maltron/standard keyboard I guess?

Anyways - it's turned 8am after a sleepless night. I'm off to prepare for work ^_^ But any suggestions on breaking from a wpm plateau are appreciated!

Last edited by bunnyfly (11-Oct-2013 08:02:11)

Thanks for the description of your ideal keyboard/layout. :) What did you mean with and a standard layout up top?

And flat would be something like the Maltron Executive or
    J Type Flat keyboard I guess? Why would you prefer that over the ergonomically bowl-shaped Kinesis or Maltron boards?

Regarding the "contest": whatever floats your boat, I have no power over it. ;) Given your progress so far I absolutely think you can do it. Then again you could probably set your goal quite a bit higher than that...

As for the plateau, you're not the first who's stuck: Stuck at 50WPM for 2 months now (tips inside)

Last edited by boli (19-Aug-2008 21:19:31)

I mean by standard layout that I don't like that Maltron and Kineses mess with little things like the shift key, command keys, +=, etc. Not a huge problem, but this is my ideal board right?! I like the Executive, but it wouldn't work for me because, I forgot to mention, I really hate "desktop" keys. I like crisp scissor switches best. Also the price, only two thumbkeys each thumb, the arrow key "row", the weight/size (I type in my lap a lot). Oh well. Typing on my lap is why a bowl wouldn't interest me. Although I haven't tried the extreme bowls, every keyboard I've tried with ergonomic curves both convex and concave have felt very uncomfortable to me. I really like flat for some reason...although I wouldn't mind trying a bowl keyboard out if the price wasn't so prohibitive : )

Of course any idea of a contest is a joke ; ) Thanks for the link - I went through some of the posts and the idea to alternate between improving speed and accuracy sounded great. I tried that as well as beginning to alternate between Keybr and Hi Games, and I've gotten into the high 50s now, but averaging in the middle, which is an improvement.

As for VIM, if anybody's interested, I came up with a solution that works for me really well so far here:
    https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?pid=3651#p3651

I'm really excited about that! Anyways, I'm off ^_^

Last edited by bunnyfly (11-Oct-2013 08:02:57)

Bunny, any updates on your Colemak progress? 

I switched from qwerty to dvorak 2 years ago, and it took me about 14 months before I could type 100+ wpm again.  I haven't been entirely satisfied with dvorak, so I've been looking at other alternatives.  I started learning bulpkm about 4 days ago and am up to 35 wpm.  Colemak was the next on my list, and I may still switch to it.  I just have to see for myself if the BUL* layouts are as good in practice as the test results indicate.

If anyone has any good tips about learning new layouts quickly, I could certainly use the help.

Sure - well I reached my 20 year Qwerty speed in about a month. Now I'm just above it, but not by much. The thing is, when I typed my fastest in Qwerty, I felt like my hands were flying all over the place, about to catch fire and I could hardly believe that people could type faster - much less twice as fast! Now, when I type the same speed in Colemak (which I never actually do except for tests), I feel like I could go faster if I trained myself and cut down on my mistakes, which are about the same, maybe slightly higher than with Qwerty. I suppose how I could describe it is that in Qwerty, it felt like a physical limitation; in Colemak, it's a mental limitation that I just haven't taken the time to pass.

Either way, I'm entirely happy with Colemak and don't regret switching at all. While the BUL layouts may be amazing, I don't regret not trying them. I don't know how BUL would feel...although from CarpalX data, it would be less rolling and more alternating hands. As far as effort goes, they're totally negligibly different. I'd pick based on whether you prefer rolling or alternating motions...I prefer the beauty of rolling : )

As for learning, typing games actually helped me a lot in the early stages, and were fun (try Qwerty Warriors...it's hilariously violent compared to all the "car racing" and "balloon popping" games out there!), but once I reached the high 40s, I stopped working at speed and just let my speed naturally rise up to near 70 through daily typing...although if you're shooting for 100+, you may need conscious practice.

Good luck - I'd love to hear your thoughts if you give BUL a try!

Last edited by bunnyfly (11-Oct-2013 08:03:49)
    bunnyfly said:

Either way, I'm entirely happy with Colemak and don't regret switching at all. While the BUL layouts may be amazing, I don't regret not trying them. I don't know how BUL would feel...although from CarpalX data, it would be less rolling and more alternating hands. As far as effort goes, they're totally negligibly different. I'd pick based on whether you prefer rolling or alternating motions...I prefer the beauty of rolling : )

Seconded.  I think once you move away from Qwerty to something Dvorak/Colemak/*BUL like, actual comfort differences/advantages are all in all quite small.  One may be better at rolling, the other at hand alternating, but switching eg. from Colemak to *BUL won't give you anything near the same difference as moving from Qwerty to any of them.

So my advice would be to pick one that is stable and well-supported, learn it, and just stick to it.  Looks like Dvorak and Colemak are the best candidates there, rather than the experimental Carpalx layouts.

As for learning, typing games actually helped me a lot in the early stages, and were fun (try Qwerty Warriors...it's hilariously violent compared to all the "car racing" and "balloon popping" games out there!), but once I reached the high 40s, I stopped working at speed and just let my speed naturally rise up to near 70 through daily typing...although if you're shooting for 100+, you may need conscious practice.

Same here.  Once I started using Colemak 24/7 (I was at ~40 wpm then) I stopped "practicing", and all further speed improvements followed just from daily usage (now ~80 wpm).  After 9 months of usage I feel my accuracy is not optimal so I think I should start practicing again, but typing "well enough" doesn't require much practice beyond the initial learning phase.