• You are not logged in.

Beta Windows Driver

• Started by gidyn
    • 3 Replies:

The Windows driver has been Beta since March '07 with no changes. Is there some insurmountable problem that prevents progress?

It would be great if Microsoft could include the Colemak layout in future versions of Windows!

Microsoft has no business including the Colemak layout. They go by hardware keyboards only. Whenever there's a substantial amount of Colemak hardware being sold, Microsoft may consider implementing it. That's what Michael Kaplan says at least, and I think he's right.

There aren't any substantial problems with the Windows install. Just change its name from Beta to RC or whatever you like. The things I feel aren't quite there yet would be the AltGr placements - but most people don't use those a lot.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

One big thing that is currently missing from the windows driver is the Caps Lock -> Backspace mapping. You can get around that by using registry mapping for that key, and then installing Colemak, but it's not exactly a smooth experience.

Given that the beta is the only driver that will work on a vista machine, I'd love to see an updated version sometime. It undermines Colemak's argument that it is "ready for primetime" when there is no fully working windows driver available, which is too bad...

Sy

I'll have to agree on that. I didn't think of the CapsLock mapping since I don't use that one myself anymore.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***