• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Tip for learning Colemak (or any alternative keyboard layout)

Tip for learning Colemak (or any alternative keyboard layout)

• Started by gave
    • 5 Replies:

Here's a tip that has helped me learn my new layout of choice while remaining proficient in QWERTY.

Change your computer's password to the English alphabet (A through Z) followed by your normal password.

If you're on Windows, when you initially log in you'll need to type out the alphabet in QWERTY. When you unlock your computer from sleep mode you'll need to type out the alphabet in your new layout. This works best on laptops because they are generally turned off and on more frequently than desktop computers. Also, be sure to enable the setting that prompts for a password upon waking from sleep or hibernation.

Did you check such long passwords are properly supported?  If it's chopped after <26 characters, you end up with a pretty unsecure password... (ie. someone just needs to start typing the alphabet without knowing the appended "random" part.)

"I need to see that report NOW! YESTERDAY! WHAT ON GOD'S SWEET EARTH IS TAKING YOU SO LONG?!?"
    "Uhhh... I'm... just... typing in my... uhhh... password?"
    *explosion*

;)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

"I need to see that report NOW! YESTERDAY! WHAT ON GOD'S SWEET EARTH IS TAKING YOU SO LONG?!?"
    "Uhhh... I'm... just... typing in my... uhhh... password?"
    *explosion*

;)

Good point. Also, I think it is easier to just learn a few keys at a time, instead of trying to learn all of them. So typing the entire alphabet might be too confusing, and would slow down long-term learning.

I don't think that limiting your qwertying to your password at login will keep you fluent in both layouts. For a while I was using Colemak for everything except remote desktop sessions into servers, and I found it pretty awkward to have to switch back to qwerty temporarily.

If you want to retain proficiency in both qwerty and Colemak you really need to use them both fairly extensively. I find that using Colemak at work and qwerty at home does a pretty good job of keeping me fluent in both. It's also more comfortable in the long term than using either layout in isolation.

gave said:

Here's a tip that has helped me learn my new layout of choice while remaining proficient in QWERTY.

Change your computer's password to the English alphabet (A through Z) followed by your normal password.

If you're on Windows, when you initially log in you'll need to type out the alphabet in QWERTY. When you unlock your computer from sleep mode you'll need to type out the alphabet in your new layout. This works best on laptops because they are generally turned off and on more frequently than desktop computers. Also, be sure to enable the setting that prompts for a password upon waking from sleep or hibernation.

you can set your computer's default input 'language' to colemak and that way it won't have qwerty layout at your initial password screen. to do this go to  control panel (classic view) > regional and language options > administrative > copy to reserved accounts, then tick the two boxes and press ok.

• Index
      • General
      • Tip for learning Colemak (or any alternative keyboard layout)