• You are not logged in.

Problems with arrow keys in Linux

• Started by meltycat
    • 2 Replies:

Hello!  I just started using Colemak yesterday with Ubuntu 8.10, and my installation works just great with the exception of the horizontal  arrow keys.  I'm using:

setkbmap us;
    xmodmap xmodmap/colemak
    xset r 66

The horizontal keys just have no effect after this is run.  I've also used the keymap settings in Gnome, which work with the exception of the caps lock bug but sometimes Gnome just won't switch to Colemak for some reason.  Xmodmap always works, so I'd like to fix the arrow keys on that if possible.

Thanks for any help -- I hope to get this fixed soon so I can program with Colemak :)

I've fixed the problem by using the xorg files!

In Ubuntu, you have to put the xorg files in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/colemak

Then, the xorg commands on the site will work.  I hope that this post might help other people who have the same problem in the future.

Hi,

I have the same problem (just the left arrow key doesn't work in Ubuntu 8.10).  I'm using the gnome keyboard preferences program and have "USA Colemak" as my secondary layout (and "USA" as my default).  My keyboard is configured as "Generic 104-key PC".  Perhaps there is a bug in the upstream software....would it be Xorg?  Any pointers would be helpful.  I would like Ubuntu and others to correctly support Colemak out of the box.

Thanks,

e