• You are not logged in.

Trouble with Hunt and Peck

• Started by gidyn
    • 4 Replies:

I have a QWERTY keyboard, and follow the advice of not looking at the keyboard while I type. However, I am not always in a "typing" position. For example, if I need to reach for a keyboard shortcut in the middle of some mouse work, hunt and peck is much faster than assuming a touch typing position (particularly if I'm not actually seated at the keyboard at the time). Additionally, every time I happen to glance downwards, my fingers get confused.

The keys on my keyboard are not interchangeable between rows, and stickers spoil the surface. Are there any other solutions?

Learn to feel for all the anchor points of your board. The index finger bumps, obviously, but also other discernible features such as the edges of the Space bar, the various surrounding modifier keys and whatnot. With all those known to your fingers, you should know your way.

I'd look for a replacement board with movable keys/keycaps. They're cheap and can often be found lying about - unless your current board is a quality piece of hardware that you're attached to in some way.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Just bought Microsoft Natural to alleviate wrist pain.

Do a paint job on the beast, with Krylon Fusion! One color per finger, and finger tripping turns into another kind of tripping...

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I found this to be a big problem with Dvorak. I expect to have it too with Colemak, if I don't have the keys rearranged.

It's one of the areas I think the NSK is very good, and would be particularly useful on netbooks, which are often held with one hand and typed with using the other.