• You are not logged in.

Caps functionality needed

• Started by pothi
    • 4 Replies:

Hi all,

I am one of the satisfied users of colemak layout. I've been using it for the past 6 months in Ubuntu.

I'd like to know about how I could get caps functionality in Ubuntu 8.04. I prefer to turn on/off caps using shift+caps. Any idea about how I could achieve this. In my Ubuntu box, colemak is the *only* layout installed by default.

Thanks in advance.

Pothi.

Use sticky keys. You'll find this on the accessibity settings of ubuntu. I recommend that you use an applet for showing the status of the modifiers. I know gnome has one, but I don't know its name. Look these up for more detailed info., as don't have ubuntu/gnome here at hand.

Thank you for your tips. I'll surely try and update the actual procedure here.

Thanks again.

Pothi.

You can't have shift+caps turning caps on/off because (unshifted) caps lock starts acting as both backspace and caps lock. It's a bug or something.

But you can try some other key. To edit your keyboard layout, type:
    sudo gedit /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us
    Find the Colemak section.  Inside the curly and square brackets you will see four columns: normal, shift+, third level chooser+, and shift+third level chooser+

The three- or four-character names of the keys you can use inside the angle brackets can be found here:
    http://www.charvolant.org/~doug/xkb/htm … 0000000000
    ( Caps Lock is CAPS )

And the names of the characters and keys you can type inside the curly and square brackets can be found here:
    http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/*check … h?rev=1.14
    ( remove the XK_ )
    ( Caps Lock is Caps_Lock )
    ( By the way, the third-level chooser is ISO_Level3_Shift )

Optionally, if you haven't done so already, you can add these lines in your .profile ( gedit ~/.profile ):

# turn on repeating for key 66 (Caps Lock)
    xset r 66

Last edited by vVv (05-Jan-2009 06:00:25)

Thank you for your reply vVv.

Thanks for the additional tip on how to turn on repeating the keys. I usually type it everytime I log into my Ubuntu box by opening a terminal window. Now this tip does save a lot of time for me.

Thanks again for your guidelines. I'm yet to try the tip, though. Because I'm currently using a windows machine at work (of course, with colemak installed).