• You are not logged in.

French/English Colemak

• Started by michaell
    • 1 Replies:

Hello, I'm on the verge of switching to Colemak after examining a number of possibilities that all seem much less interesting compared to Colemak, like Dvorak and Maltron. I type in English as much as I do in French, for both work as a closed-caption transcriptionist and for personal use and I'm trying to make this transition as painless as possible. That being said, I presently use on both mac and pc the Canadian French layout. This allows me to use the same layout without having to switch from English to French to get the é à è keys.
    Using alt-gr for the accented keys would be a pain. Here's the basic layout I plan to use:

QWFPG JLUYà^;ç  (the ^ key can be ¨with shift and ` with alt to allow me to make ü and ù)
    ARSTD HNEIOé
    ZXCVB KM,.è

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Any advice?
    Thanks in advance

I'm Norwegian. After using a Colemak based on the standard Norwegian layout with just the relevant letters swapped and the special letters æøå to the right, I ditched that for a more or less standard US Colemak. In part because the national layout was horrible when it came to punctuation placements, and in part because sticking to the standard layout is a distinct advantage. Hotkey helpscreens for complex software, for instance - or poorly implemented software that expect certain keys to be available (such as a tilde that isn't on an AltGr key).

Luckily, I still have my VK_102 key (which I've moved into the middle between Colemak B and K for reasons of ergonomy). That holds the most common of the Norwegian characters (the 'Ø'). The other two are on AltGr and [] - but if I were to use Norwegian a lot more I'd swap the brackets over to the AltGr positions and have two layouts that were almost equal but for the focus on coding vs Norwegian. So I get three special keys to play with, without mucking up the general layout.

The special accent key is in the standard Norwegian layout too. But I did away with that. I think that using AltGr and colon (for diaeresis), 6 (for circumflex), ' (for accent) etc. works more intuitively for me.

All in all, that works very well for me. I know that you have more keys you want to fit in, and you're welcome to use those keys for it. But I'd rather hit the AltGr a bit for the rarer signs, myself.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***