• You are not logged in.

Concept laptop layout

• Started by migo
    • 20 Replies:

I hit quite a bit of extra pain with Colemak on my laptop after about a week. It was in my right hand. I never had that with QWERTY. I remember one of the issues with QWERTY is that it's left hand heavy. Thing is the right hand gets a lot of work hitting enter, so maybe that's not so bad.

I decided to look at a layout that's ideal for laptops with straight keyboards. Acers with the 5 degree curve I find already served me very well, so it's just straight ones that are the issue. For a desktop, I can get an AlphaGrip, so worrying about DT keyboards is a non issue.

14adl5w.jpg
    (I yanked the image from the front of the Colemak site and edited it in Paint)

I've got a rough proof of concept there, not really stuck on the layout but it shows several things. The white keys are home keys. I've abandoned the home row for a layout that puts your arms at a better angle.

Second thing I've done is shift the keys over to the right so they're all more centred. On a QWERTY layout, the centre of my screen comes between H and J (H and N on Colemak). This moves the right hand closer to enter to reduce the rightwards motion.

What this also does is move the right thumb to AltGr, and leaves the left thumb on spacebar. Both thumbs aren't needed for it, I exclusively use my right thumb right now (so this requires retraining for me, no big deal). Alt keys become shift keys. The thumb is much better for shift than the pinky. Alt isn't easy for the left thumb, but again only one is needed, I use L Shift exclusively right now.

I took a different approach to figuring out common letters. I figure in all likelihood the most common keystrokes consist of "http://" "www." "google" "wikipedia" "youtube" ".com" ".net" and ".org" Those bring up 24 characters. With the hand placement, 27 keys are easily accessible, so 24 of them go to those letters, and 3 to the next most common ones. I like Dvorak's all vowels on one hand - it's easy to remember, but I couldn't remember the order, particularly when I had to one hand type on a keyboard with the physical keys in a QWERTY arrangement. I decided to go for A-E-I-O-U as it's easy to remember, E goes on the index finger, and the entire set goes on the right because E is one of the most common last letters so last letter to space being right hand left hand works well. Other than that, I didn't give much thought about the other keys - I loosely did a mirrored Dvorak - except for putting Q on the left side becaus it was a very uncommon key, so having QU on the same hand would have been brutal.

Yellow keys are handled by the pinky, purple by the ring finger (it has the least being the weakest finger), blue by the middle finger and green by the index finger. As you'll see there isn't much symmetry. It's basically based on what doesn't lead to finger jamming. The keys can be re-arranged, but the finger handling can't (as far as I can tell, I only have one laptop to test it on, so I don't know if anything else gets messed on a different laptop). Red are really crappy and rely on the whole hand moving.

Tab and Caps have been ditched, Caps is particularly obsolete with AltGr as Shift, and Tab can be handled with key repeat on spacebar. I have enter and delete together and doubled up so they're easy to hit. I don't like stretching so much, so just moving the hand works. I find I often accidentally hit \ instead of enter, so they're just both there. It's a large target and can be hit quickly.

It looks like places priority on the top row, but it seems like the fingers have to do a lot of flying around also. I've also noticed that the placement of letters also diminishes the amount of rolls that the layout has. I don't know it seems that to learn a whole new layout, if I want to avoid the home row, I'd just use QWERTY...XP

Colemak typist

I briefly considered a layout concept like this, where some of the fingers rest on the top row.  In my version, though, the pinky fingers would stay on the middle row.  This makes sense if you hold you fingers straight out--the index and pinky fingers are shorter than the middle and ring fingers (or at least, they are for me).  I guess I kind of wonder why you decided not to do it that way.

Yeah, priority is on the top row.

I basically threw the layout together overnight and didn't spend much time thinking about optimisation. I'm also not so sure about rolls because the way I do rolls they're easier going outwards but it seems the consensus is that inward rolls are better, while I find they're awkward. I don't think anyone considers hand alternation to be bad, so I figure it's better to go for the centre ground than overoptimise in one way that's unoptimal for some people.

It took me roughly ~1 week to learn Colemak, ~2 to learn Dvorak. Learning a new layout isn't a big deal.

thought about having the pinkies on the middle row, didn't fit my hand though. with the arm angle I wanted and my hands pinky on hte top row worked better. It might be different for people with different hands. Pinky on the middle row I find works OK if the keyboard is on the desk, but if it's on the desk might as well get a split keyboard or something more ergonomic. Where you can't is a laptop actually on your lap, and for that I felt top row pinky was best. I tried getting more important characers in the centre (also advantageous if you want to do one handed typing) so it should still work alright if someone has different hands where the pinky placement is more comfortable in  a different place.

Something else I just started thinking about: There are certain keys that get heavy usage shifted but the unshifted versions are underused. 1 and ! are probably pretty equal, and 2 and @ as well. I find I get more use out of ( ) than 9 0 and I also use : a lot more than ; and ? more than /.  A keyboard layout that reverses some of these shifts would help a lot. I also find heavy use of ", but really it's not hard to just use single quotes or hit ' 2x instead of shifting (with the exception of some fonts that have curved quotes and possibly also languages like german that have quotes on the bottom and the top).

I find in typing tests where I slow down is on punctuation, particularly having to reach down for the ?, so minimizing the need to use the shift key in the first place would also help a lot.

I've recently returned to Qwerty and have found it to feel BETTER than the home-row focused layout I was using (Aserth, mentioned in another thread).  I'm starting to wonder if maybe Qwerty got it right by putting so many common letters on the top row--E, I, and O, in particular.  As I mentioned before, with the index and pinkie fingers on the home row, it's most natural for the middle and ring fingers to rest on the top row, so it stands to reason that reaching up with those fingers isn't going to be too straining.  Another thing I've noticed is that home-row focused layouts tend to feel cramped, whereas Qwerty tends to feel open.  I wonder is if this is why alternative layouts don't tend to offer much speed increase over Qwerty--they're more efficient distance-wise, but "pay the piper" by forcing the fingers to remain in a bunched-up and unnatural position.

Something to think about, anyway.  Maybe I'll retool my layout-maker program with these ideas and see how the resultant layouts feel.

People have had the idea that resting your middle fingers on the top row is nice before. It does make QWERTY seem more sensible, with the E finally in easy reach. The price to pay for that is a long stretch to the already awkward bottom row.

With my ergonomic hand position on Colemak, it doesn't feel cramped. I think that you may be experiencing these strains mainly because the many layouts you're trying aren't trained very strongly into your muscle memory yet. I too found the transition to Colemak (and before that, Dvorak) to be somewhat 'crampy' but it passed after a while. Obviously, your QWERTY is your best-learned layout so you will feel more comfortable with it.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

It's nothing to do with muscle memory. The problem is that keyboard layouts that are tightly bound to the home row, such as Dvorak and Colemak, force your hands together and put extra strain on your wrists. Admittedly not everybody finds this to be a problem, but I do, and it seems I'm far from being the only one.

Personally, I've repeatedly (on several attempts over a year and a half) found Colemak so uncomfortable on my laptop that I've had to stop using it altogether. However, in combination with a split ergonomic keyboard it's about the closest thing to typing perfection that you're going to get. If it were merely a case of muscle memory, I'd find the same problems with both.

Last edited by jammycakes (01-Feb-2009 15:16:21)
    jammycakes said:

...The problem is that keyboard layouts that are tightly bound to the home row, such as Dvorak and Colemak, force your hands together and put extra strain on your wrists...

Sorry, but that is simply not true. My hands/wrists have never felt the need to become closer on Colemak. My typing position has not changed at all since moving from QWERTY to Colemak.

Whatever the cause of your, and others, discomfort, it isn't down to the emphasis on the home row. Maybe you should deliberately try widen the angle of your wrists to correct your hands being inclined to move inward.

migo: I found that my right pinky was getting very tired after switching to Colemak. This passed after a few weeks as the finger strengthened.

Edit: Take a look at this Dvorak user on Youtube. His position looks similar to mine. Nice and comfortable. You can clearly see that his left arm is angled outwards, his right you can't see so well due to the placement of the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxjTgfGTLDo

Last edited by simonh (01-Feb-2009 15:51:07)

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

Simon, I did say "Admittedly not everybody finds this to be a problem, but I do, and it seems I'm far from being the only one."

I'm not questioning that for some reason you are having a problem with Colemak, I was disputing your assertion that Colemak/Dvorak "force your hands together".

I am intrigued why you have this problem. Have you tried adjusting the angle of your wrists?

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

I have, but it just felt more awkward. But that's why I prefer ergonomic keyboards.

Oh, and here's a web page with a couple of diagrams that illustrate what I'm talking about.

That's what I thought. My arms/wrists are "OK" according to your link (on a regular straight keyboard). Here is another link displaying correct position of wrists on a regular keyboard.

http://www.ergomatters.co.uk/blog/rsi/l … e-and-rsi/

Interesting read for those having problems. I can confirm that I have typed this way for nearly twenty years, probably because that's how I was taught on a course. It may take some time to become an unconscious habit.

Edit: That's why I have never felt the need for an ergonomic keyboard. If you type correctly, you should never need one...

Last edited by simonh (01-Feb-2009 19:19:30)

Thanks for the link -- it actually illustrates my point even better than mine does. If you look at the images of the "correct" position, you'll see that the fingers don't all naturally rest on the home row. Three of them do, but the natural resting position for the index fingers there is on the bottom row, and that's exactly the point I was making. It's the need to compensate for this fact that either (a) causes your wrists to twist inwards, or (b) causes a lot more finger (and wrist) movement to stretch (on Colemak) for the four very common letters T, D, H and N, which together constitute about 23% of letter usage in English.

The picture does show that the ergonomic keyboard is a bit better in this regard. It's a bit unfortunate that it doesn't also show the new Microsoft Natural Ergo 4000, because it is even more closely contoured to your hands, allowing for the fact that your middle and ring fingers are longer and would otherwise tend to overshoot the home row.

Last edited by jammycakes (01-Feb-2009 21:54:03)

Well, since I am on the go mostly,  I touch type on nothing but my Macbook or Powerbook using Colemak for the last year and half or so, and I keep my wrists straight and I don't find it cramped at all.  To me, finding the home row cramped was a brief passing phase and I feel like Dreymar that it had to do with needing to improve muscle memory so my hands could relax at speed.

Okay, so we've established that some people do not have a problem with a tight focus on the home row. Nobody is disputing that. However, some of us do have problems with it, and being dismissive of our concerns is not helpful. For my part, I get a lot of discomfort within three weeks to a month or so when I try to use Colemak on a laptop -- I have attempted this on at least three separate occasions over the past 18 months, I found the same result every time, and on one occasion it even started to interfere with other activities such as driving. And the problem is in my right wrist and forearm, not in my fingertips. That is why I recommend that Colemak should be used in conjunction with an ergonomic keyboard.

That is also why I think that migo's concept layout is a step in the right direction: it makes it easier to keep your wrists straight on a conventional keyboard. The article that Simon linked to above illustrates this point perfectly. Now migo's layout may not be perfect, and certain issues, such as long stretches to the bottom row, may need to be addressed in more detail, but the idea is certainly worth considering and I think it could well get somewhere if taken seriously and some solution to these problems could be found.

So... has anyone any suggestions on how we can improve on it?

jammycakes, I don't think anyone is being dismissive of the problem. It's just that for most of us it either passed quickly or never happened at all. In my case, the latter. I think it's fair to say that anyone having this problem is doing something different from those of us who are *not* having the problem. I've been typing nearly ten months (exclusively) with Colemak and have never had any pain except for the right pinky, which passed after a few weeks. I can only put this down having an ergonomic typing position.

I can understand your frustration. You have mentioned this a number of times and still have no solution. Now, if I were you, I'd start by looking at my typing position and checking for any problems. As you and migo have both stated the pain is in the right wrist and forearm, you should check that you are not off centre to the keyboard as in the second picture:

http://www.ergomatters.co.uk/blog/rsi/l … e-and-rsi/

Edit: Maybe it would be a good idea for Shai (or someone) to set up a wiki for these matters to be accessed and addressed more readily. I would of course be happy to contribute.

Edit2: For anyone wondering what exactly *is* the ergonomic position when resting on the home row, do the following:

Place your fingers in the position proposed by migo.

Q W F       U Y ;
                               T  N

Then, slide your fingers down to join the index fingers on the home row, making sure only to move those fingers and not to move your elbows or wrists. Your wrists and forearms should now be straight and you are ready to type ergonomically. Finally, make sure you are central to the keyboard by ensuring that the space bar is in line with the centre of your body.

Last edited by simonh (03-Feb-2009 19:56:58)

I think Jammy is absolutely right: Some could be in need of a better alternative than the usual board, since they need more angle than the standard solution will readily allow them. This could have to do with how big you are versus your keyboard width, for instance. Key sizes don't vary a lot in general, so we're left with angles. I think that a hinged or curved ergo board should alleviate these user's problems.

So we're left with the laptop problem. Interesting indeed. Seems the main alternatives revolve around either resting the two middle fingers on the top row or the index fingers on the bottom row. Not sure which of those would be best, really. If your layout lets you do most your typing on the home row and not much on the top row like QWERTY (and Dvorak?) does, I think I'd go for the index-fingers-at-bottom-row variant. If your fingers rest on the top row I think you'll have some rather awkward stretches downwards, whereas the top row should be fairly easily reached even if your index fingers are a little further away from it in their home position.

I think that common letters should then be in the Colemak K and V (my B) positions. The V isn't so uncommon (and I think you'd actually reach the B more easily from this position?), and I'd suggest simply keeping the N in its' QWERTY place to put something both common and familiar under your fingertip! The K should move up somewhere then, and something fairly common down; maybe L or G? If the N/K/L shuffle is done this way, that'd have the benefit of being fairly close both to the normal Colemak and the QWERTY, and also you wouldn't break any of the digraphs Shai probably thought of while making Colemak.

Just a suggestion. It'd probably make G and J quite hard to reach, but nothing comes without a price. And the modifier keys would be easily reachable which I think is nice on a laptop where I tend to use any and all hotkey possibilities with zeal.

Another thing to do is that bottom-row shift I keep harping on about. Now, I realize that not all people have a 102/105-key board and I've seen some solutions for that. But I'm starting to lean towards recommending that the Z goes to the Shift key on a 101/104-key board! It'll look a bit dominating there, but that'd be the most logical place if you do a shifted bottom half row. Then the Shift key itself would naturally migrate up to CapsLock I think. Yes, having a Backspace there is nice and all, but I still think this might be the way to go if you're in search of a better wrist angle.

|Tab+?|  Q  |  W  |  F  |  P  |  G  |  J  |  K  |  U  |  Y  |  ;  |
    |Shift | *A* | *R* | *S* |  T  |  D  |  H  |  L  | *E* | *I* | *O* |
    |    Z   |  X  |  C  | *V* | *B* |  _  | *N* | *M* |  ,  |  .  |  /  |

Seems to me that the index fingers would naturally rest between the V/B and N/M keys, as shown?

I have the CapsLock as my Extra Modifier key ('Extend') in PKL, and love that. To get a CapsLock, I'll type CapsLock and the grave/tilde key. To get a Backspace or Delete, it's the ';' or ']' keys. I'm starting to get addicted to that kind of functionality. Even though typing, say, Enter or BS/Del is one more key press this way, that doesn't feel awkward because both the keys pressed are right under my home position. In a way, I feel that the extra press is compensated by not having to move from home.

I suppose that if the CapsLock key does become a Shift, it shouldn't also be an extra modifier; that'd cause trouble. Then it's the Tab key that's next in line. I'd make the Tab my PKL ExMod/Extend key, and I've already found that using the 'T' key for Tab works fine nearly everywhere! For instance, now I can hit CapsLock/A/T to Alt-Tab without leaving my home position. Using the Tab key instead of CapsLock would be somewhat more awkward I fear, but maybe it'd be okay.

Last edited by DreymaR (09-Feb-2009 21:33:18)

I didn't notice feeling cramped while I was using the home-row-focused layout.  It's something I noticed when I switched back to Qwerty; it was like the door opening in a stuffy room that I didn't even realize was stuffy.  As far as muscle memory, I was up to 85 WPM with the layout, so I think I can claim a fair bit of that.  :)

I agree that hitting the bottom row would be a hassle if the middle and ring fingers actually rested on the top row.  Not sure what to do about that besides move really infrequently used characters down there.  :/

EDIT:  Well, I tried making some layouts favoring the top row for the middle and ring fingers, but they were awful compared to those favoring the home row for all fingers--I could feel lots of wasted effort in a way I don't notice anymore with Qwerty.  Oh well; it was worth a shot.  :)

Last edited by Phynnboi (08-Feb-2009 23:48:24)

@DreymaR: Your rearrangement of the right hand keys looks pretty promising. I must admit that the stretch for the L key is probably the thing I find most uncomfortable on Colemak, even on an ergonomic keyboard. It would also probably make things a good bit easier from a wrist angle perspective.

I'm a bit drawn as to whether keeping the 'N' in its Colemak or QWERTY position would be the better idea. Depends on whether you want to maximize Colemak conformity or maintain a strong link to QWERTY, I suppose. The other option might be to just move the L down and the K up to the L's position. One less change from Colemak sounds nice to me, but YMMV.

I'd like to see someone try it out. I have no idea whether it'd be too confusing to use that layout on your laptop and normal Colemak on your workstation, for instance.  :)  Don't think I'll do it, as I don't feel so uncomfortable on my laptop anyway.