• You are not logged in.

My Cold Turkey

• Started by scribbly
    • 7 Replies:

I'm a couple of days into my cold turkey... it's a bit up and down. I've got COLEMAK both at home and work.

I was looking briefly at DVORAK, and was surprired how easy it was to become familiar with the layout.

COLEMAK also was easy enough to pick up. I rarely have to check the layout I've got under the monitor now, but it feels very slow :(.

I first learned touch typing 8 or 9 years ago and initially got to about 60wpm, but I haven't kept the practice up, and measured myself at only 43wpm the other day.

Changed directly over to COLEMAN and I measured 6wpm.

I've been practicing over at http://keybr.com/, starting just on the home row. After starting the lessons I managed 9wpm the next day and 18-20wpm the next couple of days. Not sure doing it row by row is a good thing or not?

Just tested over at http://www.powertyping.com/typing_test/ … test.shtml on normal text and managed around the 18 mark (with a few mistakes).

I like many others here am finding s & r very difficult. I'm only using COLEMAK, except when I have to remote into another machine at work.

I really like the idea of DVORAK and COLEMAK, but it's pretty hard for the first bit.

Thanks for all your efforts and support.

"People always overestimate how much they can change with a lot of effort in a very short period of time and severely underestimate how much they can change over a long period of time with a small amount of consistent daily effort."

What a great quote! Where's it from? Google wouldn't tell me...

I agree wholeheartedly... today I improved 3wpm at powertyping! :-)

it's paraphrased from memory... and I don't think it was original with the person I heard it from.

Try not to go down the road of obsessing about your speed. If it takes a year to get to 60wpm then so be it. I was stuck at ~55wpm for bloody months. Looking back, I probably caused the plateau by stressing over it.

Good luck.

Last edited by simonh (10-Apr-2009 21:57:52)

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

Thanks all.

After my first week I was just starting to feel like the letters were starting to flow out rather than having to squeeze them out one by one. I was very heartened by that.

Then came the Easter weekend and no practice, so I've slipped back a little.

But this week has seen further increases, and now I'm about 50% of my QWERTY speed.

But as simonh said: I'm more thinking the feel is more important... and I'm happy that it's starting to flow out. :)

plateaus are pretty common in any physical training.  After the first year, I've been on one for a while with Colemak because I simply type fast enough for my needs.  At some point I will to work on breaking through the 60 wpm barrier but that means I have to actually practice. :-P     of course it may be because I didn't touch type before and got by being much slower than I am now.

Yes that was my experience with QWERTY, although I went backwards a bit -- lazy habits I guess.

I'm pretty keen to keep improving: but we'll see ;)