• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Qwerty user for 40+ years wonders if neural pathways entrenched by now

Qwerty user for 40+ years wonders if neural pathways entrenched by now

• Started by TracyLouise
    • 17 Replies:

*The last post in this forum is 25 Feb 09 . . . not an abandoned message board but not up-to-the-second either. Hope I find an audience here!

Here's my story: Been a Qwerty user since 1965.  Have done transcription in mental health for many years and am pretty fast at it, 80-100 wpm at a sustained level for the 8-hour workday.  Now working as a medical transcriptionist 40 hours/week and decided to learn Dvorak. Reasons:

- Medical terminology is left-hand heavy and clumsy at times.
    - Need to meet productivity standards of 150 lines/hour . . . which I can mostly do in Qwerty, but . . .
    - Need to maximize rest time on the job to save my hands/arms.

I knew there was an alternate keyboard layout designed more efficiently, so I searched for it on the 'net and found Dvorak.  What's more, I discovered that Dvorak is available on EVERY PC AS A SETTING UNDER CONTROL PANEL!!

So I found a printable keyboard layout, located some good online typing lessons, and away I went to learn Dvorak.  After a couple of months of practice, I switched my home computer to all Dvorak, all the time.  After a couple of weeks of that, I told my supervisor that I was switching my work computer as well.  I knew that my productivity would drop for a bit, but from what I had read on the Web, I figured I would be back up to speed in a couple of weeks.

I don't think it will happen that soon . . . if at all.  Challenges for me in my situation include:

- Difference in the different kinds of typing.  I can copy text on the screen pretty well, but not nearly as fast as I could in Qwerty, at this point pretty consistently in the mid 40s, about half.  Typing what I think (such as composing this post) is a different skill, and more similar to what I have to do on the job, typing what I hear, and at this point is much slower than typing what I see.

- Muscle memory:  40+ years of typing, about half of that time pretty fast, means that the Qwerty keyboard has long ago become instinct and second nature.  I could just naturally type as fast as I could think without being aware of where the letters are . . . just typing words.  While I have certainly made progress on Dvorak (even now, typing this post is much easier than when I started it), I just don't know if by this time it is possible to rewrite the muscle memory to the point where I am as proficient at Dvorak as I was in Qwerty. 

It was searching for some kind of research or studies on comparing these learning curves that led me to this site.

Much of what I have read from self-reports in this forum and other sources on the great strides made in converting to a "superior" keyboard come from folks who are not in my situation:

- Most are young and have not had as many years/decades on any layout, and may not be so entrenched with it.

- Many Qwerty users were never formally trained on it and just got by with hunt-and-peck; naturally a person will do better once they put systematic, concentrated effort into any system.

- While many report improvement in their ability to think and type and thereby increase their performance in the academic setting, I don't have a sense that many folks are needing to type solidly 8/5 the way I do.

The descriptions of the benefits of the Colemak keyboard resonate with me as I have experienced many of the shortcomings of the Dvorak keyboard as reported by others.  Now I have to wonder if I have put all this effort in to no appreciable benefit.

Just wondered if anyone might have some insight and/or know of any studies that have been done.

Thanks for your time,

Tracy a.k.a. "Ma Geezer"

Last edited by TracyLouise (07-Mar-2009 22:39:40)

Hi Ma Geezer! 

yeah we are around.  it's just been quiet for some reason here lately.    It's not a super active board, but there are spurts. 

It seems to me that you would have been and maybe still are a prime candidate for the method Ryan Heise used to acquire Colemak.  There are threads here discussing getting up to speed while maintaining Qwerty that you may want to look for.

see here
    http://www.ryanheise.com/colemak/

since you have devoted clearly a significant investment in time already to learning Dvorak, it would be really hard for anyone to make that judgement call for you on whether Colemak makes sense.  There are some former Dvorak users on here and then of course others swear by Dvorak.  No one can answer this for you. If you still feel that Qwerty is even now instinct and second nature, it MAY be possible to pick up Colemak rather quickly. Colemak was designed with a user such as yourself in mind, but don't expect an overnight miracle.  The first week may still feel rather clumsy especially with Dvorak in your system. 

I don't know of any definite studies and certainly none that would be able to make you path clear cut,  Qwerty dominates too much for that.

welcome.

Don't know why introductory comments on board activity tick me off so much, but they do. Are those considered good form? Pah, nevermind.

Since Colemak isn't pre-installed anywhere you go unless you're using Xorg (=Linux ++), maybe the PKL app will be useful to you as it has been to me. You can even bring Colemak with you on a USB flash drive so it's available practically anywhere. I'm also very happy with the 'extended modifier' functionality in that, taking the CapsLock even further than being Backspace only. Instead, I get Backspace with CapsLock+O (QWERTY ';') but in addition I get arrows with UNEI, Enter with the Space key etc etc. Very handy. I use PKL for all work computers and suchlike where I cannot install directly, but I'm also starting to use it at home because I'm quite addicted to the 'extend' key.

It's very hard to predict how much trouble changing layouts is going to give you. I changed first to Dvorak and then to Colemak, but I didn't type more than 50 WPM beforehand. It got comfortable quite fast, and I regained my old speeds in a reasonable time - I think. Improving significantly on my old speeds, however, has been a lenghty venture. I think that much of your typing skills are layout independent.

The main issue is that people have different expectations, put in different amounts of effort and are just plain different in all sorts of ways! As you desire, so do we: Properly conducted studies would've been great. But as you may have read, even for Dvorak proper studies weren't easy to conduct. It takes a lot of money and effort, and nobody have a fortune and a few years to spend that I'm aware of.

If you want to try things in smaller steps, there is a transitional Colemak solution named 'Tarmac' that our user Ezuk tried out and was very happy with. It consists of moving first a few keys around (ILU) to get a taste of things, then all right-hand keys except P, and finally the whole Colemak. Just mentioning it. Whether you choose to use Ryan's method to keep your QWERTY speed up while learning, or the Tarmac to keep you from slowing down much while learning (or something else entirely) is of course entirely up to you. Again, people learn in different ways. Ask if you're curious - there are install files available and we could cook up something for PKL too if anyone wants it.

Best of luck with your attempts!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I learned Qwerty in the 8th grade back in 1972, and could type at 70wpm by the time the school class was over.  I have used it consistently until 8 years ago, when I switched to Dvorak.  My reason for switching to Dvorak was mostly because of carpal tunnel syndrome, and I wanted some relief for the pain.  At the time I was typing in the 80s (software architecture and development is my profession).  I don't type as much as you do, but I certainly do type a fair amount.

I worked with a couple of guys who had switched to Dvorak, and they kept telling me I could learn it in a weekend.  Well, they weren't lying, I did learn it in a weekend.  However, learning it and going past the level of feeling utterly frustrated with it because of typing so slowly are two different things. 

I made the switch cold turkey.  I did it during a two week vacation and practiced Dvorak each day for probably a couple of hours.  I used typing tutor software during those two weeks, and was up in the 40s with high accuracy in Dvorak by the end.  I felt going back to work was not going to be a problem at all with my new Dvorak skills which were noticeably improving daily.

WRONG!  I learned quickly that typing in a tutor program is one thing, and tasks like typing emails, software specs, and program code are a completely different thing.  I was at most in the teens with not very good accuracy, as if I was learning Dvorak all over again.  I was completely amazed at the difference, stumbling all over myself when typing from my head and then going home to type rapidly and accurately on the typing tutors again.

It took several months, but eventually I could type in all situations faster and more accurately than I did before in Qwerty.  The bonus is that my carpal tunnel pain did go away.  I never kept up my Qwerty skills, and now have to hunt and peck when typing Qwerty.  I did eventually end up remapping a few Dvorak keys to locations more to my liking (for example I swapped I and U) but I'd never go back to Qwerty.  I've heard a few people complain about shortcut keys in Dvorak, but I guess that I am used to them and now the same shortcuts in Qwerty don't seem right at all.

I have thought about trying Colemak a few times; mostly just out of curiosity about whether or not I'd like it more than Dvorak.  I think for you it might be a better solution than Dvorak simply because it is somewhat similar to Qwerty.  Something to keep in mind about Colemak is that you would have to install software on your computer to make it work, and in some businesses you might not be allowed to do that.  If that is not a problem, then Colemak might be a great option for you.

I don't think the 40+ years of Qwerty are going to be a problem for you moving on to a better keyboard layout.  Like you mentioned, a fast typist thinks in words and sentences while typing and not in letters.  It takes a while for your brain to build the new pathways; learning the letters is easy but getting to where you no longer think about the letters at all takes a while longer. 

Thanks,
    Mark.

Last edited by Nobodo (09-Mar-2009 00:54:39)
    Nobodo said:

I have thought about trying Colemak a few times; mostly just out of curiosity about whether or not I'd like it more than Dvorak.  I think for you it might be a better solution than Dvorak simply because it is somewhat similar to Qwerty.  Something to keep in mind about Colemak is that you would have to install software on your computer to make it work, and in some businesses you might not be allowed to do that.  If that is not a problem, then Colemak might be a great option for you.

There is a thread on this forum about someone who had exactly that issue where they were not allowed to install software,  and there is a work around described in that discussion that makes it possible for him to use Colemak without installing it on the work machines.  The report back was that it works.   So the idea not being able to install software is limitation to using Colemak is not true.  Find that thread if you have this issue. It sounded pretty simple.

Last edited by keyboard samurai (09-Mar-2009 07:11:20)
    keyboard samurai said:

There is a thread on this forum about someone who had exactly that issue where they were not allowed to install software,  and there is a work around described in that discussion that makes it possible for him to use Colemak without installing it on the work machines.  The report back was that it works.   So the idea not being able to install software is limitation to using Colemak is not true.  Find that thread if you have this issue. It sounded pretty simple.

I am not allowed to install software on my PC at work either.  So the official colemak install.exe (the one that installs Colemak as a native Windows keyboard layout, obviously requires admin privileges) or the registry remapping won't work.  But "portable" apps like Autohotkey and PKL work perfectly well.  They're portable binaries, meaning you simply unzip the program+config in a location you have write access to and run it.  PKL works very well for me, and allowed me to make more custom remappings to (like creating my own Colemak-like layout for Russian characters).

At home, with NetBSD (or with Linux or anything else that has X11) I have native Colemak support shipped with the OS (as a simple text file, so also customisable if you wish).

From personal experience, you catch up with your previous speed pretty fast.

I had about 90wpm speed with Dvorak. Now after 3-4 months I'm more or less back to my normal speed with Colemak.
    After just a month I was typing already 60WPM+.
    Basically regaining 80% of the speed very quickly and then takes some time to work out the details until you go back to your potential.

https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=585 - this guy seems to have a somewhat similar experience as me at higher speeds.

I should have explained more in my original posting on the need to install software.  I have seen the posts in these forums about using autohotkey scripts and that sort of thing.  I didn't think that would be a good solution for the original poster since she types around 100 wpm, so I didn't mention it.  I could be wrong, though, since I've never tried it or had a reason to.
    Can an ahk script really keep up at those speeds?

Thanks,
    Mark.

Thanks all of you for your very kind and thoughtful replies.

Nobodo said:

WRONG!  I learned quickly that typing in a tutor program is one thing, and tasks like typing emails, software specs, and program code are a completely different thing.

Yes, I agree with this completely.  What I have done since I started this thread was to get a list of medical terminology prefixes and suffixes and have been using these in the make-your-own-lesson feature of powertyping.com, and will focus on these like a madwoman for my week of vacation.

Typing on a computer keyboard is a very similar skill in the brain to learning to play a musical instrument, and learning to to type the alphabet and becoming familiar with all the common letter combinations is just like learning to play scales and arpeggios . . . except that there are 30-some "notes" instead of 12.

So I think what I will do is continue on my course and practice what I need to do my job well.  I do like the idea of "customizing" a couple of letters that I wish were in different places, and I may look into that down the road.  I do think that I need to get Dvorak well-seated into my muscle memory before experimenting with something new especially now that I'm this far into it.  I need to get back up to my previous speed pretty quickly for my job.

In the meantime, I have joined a Colemak group on Facebook, if for no other reason to draw attention to the fact that it exists! 

What I don't understand is why PC keyboards don't come with both Qwerty and Dvorak layouts on the keys as long as both are available from the Control Panel??  How else are people to know that they even have a choice??? OK, that's my rant for the day.

Thanks again, all!  See you around in cyberspace.

Tracy a.k.a. "Ma Geezer"

To the main thread: learning a new layout can be a long way, just depends how fast you are learning new things, for example new dancing? Tracy, quite interesting thing you have written - I write faster from my had (emails, documentation) than typing what I see when I practise with Amphetype. Beginning touch typing things were just opposite, like you, when I was typing from my head I was frequently stuck (when I noticed someone is watching me, almost always...).

When I started learnig (for the first time ever) with Dvorak, it was hard. But having some skills I have tried Colemak, it was easier to get through, but again I tried qwerty and it was even easier. The point is that when you activate your neurons to break the habbit and learn something new it is mainly the matter of time when you build up a new neural paths. Maybe even changing layout makes your neurons more active? 

I was typing only on Dvorak again for some time, but I reached some level of maximum and get tempted to switch to Colemak because I thought it was easier. Right now I am typing on Colemak (for about a month). Again It seems a little harder than Dvorak but I bet it is only because now I type faster than last time on Dvorak  (I still make progress). There are very little differences between Dvorak and Colemak so I am sure whichever you choose over qwerty you will be very satisfied in the long term. I plan to stay with the Colemak, it has a good advantage - the brackets are on qwerty place, because I do lots of errors trying to reach them with pinky I prefer to do alternative fingering on them looking at the keyboard.

It all depends what you have to type the most.

Cheers

Nobodo said:

Can an ahk script really keep up at those speeds?

Not sure, but it might. We have to get PKL recompiled with the latest version of AHK which promises higher execution speeds before anyone tries to measure it, maybe. Parts of a compiled AHK script run at C# speeds which is a nice speed and not much slower than the system itself. There are moments when special inputs with PKL feel a bit slow to me, but those aren't when typing normally. Whenever you need to input, say, a special Unicode glyph in a special PKL layout, chances are it'll involve some fancy keypressing anyway and therefore won't need to execute quickly.

Tracy: There are of course keyboards with Dvorak markings, and keyboards with both marking sets. Why aren't all keyboards like that, you say? Well, the Dvorak studies haven't been uncontroversial. As you may know, there were studies conducted that seemed somewhat promising but then... it kinda fizzled out. Some think that's because of social inertia and even teach it as the school example of this economic theory, while others are sceptical to this angle (and some blame WWII but others don't think that's it either). I think that a definitive answer would require a quite massive study and to my knowledge such a study hasn't been conducted yet - probably because it'd be expensive. If Dvorak were able to blow MOST people away completely (not just a few aficionados), it'd have happened already I think. It hasn't. Colemak, same thing I feel. Hell, maybe even Esperanto (which I happen to like but I realize that it just won't happen - a pox on that social inertia, heh).

I'm pretty much a kid compared to you--I've been using QWERTY for 16 years.  Even still, I've found it extremely difficult to learn any new layout (and by "learn" I mean "type at least 70 WPM with"--that seems to be the speed at which typing starts to feel "automatic" to me).  I've only managed to learn one alternative layout past 70 WPM, which is this one:

QWDFG YJKL;
    ASERT HUIOP
    ZXCVB NM,./

It's Qwerty with most of the top row and home row swapped (so that most typing occurs on the home row instead of the top row--the primary benefit of alternative layouts).  No character changes fingers, and the bottom row is left intact.  I think it took me a week to get to 70 WPM, and another few weeks to get up to 90 WPM.  (My Qwerty speed before switching was in the 105 WPM range.)  If you're a long-time Qwerty typist who's just gotta get a taste of alternative layouts, that's a pretty good one to try.  It's not as good as Dvorak or Colemak, but it's WAY easier to learn.  (They trick is to realize you already know the layout, you just need to mentally "push" certain keys up or down when you first start out with it.  I didn't realize this until four days into the first week or I'd have hit 70 WPM a lot sooner.)

I eventually abandoned the above layout because the benefits didn't outweigh the inconveniences.  (I abandoned Dvorak, Colemak, and a couple of homebrew layouts for the same reason.)  However, it at least proved that an "old" dog can learn new tricks (as long as they're sufficiently similar to the old tricks).  :)

I am considerably younger, but have used qwerty for a long time and typed at around 80 wpm.

I think you could still learn, but expect it to take 6-12 months before you start feeling fully comfortable in the way you describe. Your original speed will probably return in around 12 months (and you may surpass it). I personally thought it was absolutely worthwhile to switch, but if you're not prepared to pay a price similar to this then perhaps cut your losses now.

Another option to consider is sticking it out with Dvorak for another six months (I'm guessing; I don't see a reference to how long you've been on Dvorak) if you like it but just feel a little slow. However, if you prefer the philosophy of Colemak to Dvorak, then this may be the layout for you. I personally think it's good, and it is a little easier to learn than Dvorak.

Phynnboi said:

Even still, I've found it extremely difficult to learn any new layout. [...] I've only managed to learn one alternative layout past 70 WPM.

While Phynnboi is entitled to give advice, keep in mind that he does not stick with layouts very long. I believe he gave Colemak a week before giving up and moving on to an array of custom layouts.

Sadly, Ma Geezer there are no recent scientific studies about the pros and cons of keyboard layouts. You have only the personal experiences of users to guide you.

In my case I was trained to touch type (QWERTY of course) at college. I typed Qwerty for about eighteen years, tried Dvorak, didn't really get along with it, and then tried and stuck with Colemak. Next month will by a year since switching. During the transition I didn't have to type much at work so that helped a lot. The first week or two were pretty hard going. Typing a paragraph would take minutes instead of seconds. That is unavoidable though. You have to crawl, then walk, and finally run. Perhaps you could take a week off work to give yourself a head start?

Alternatively, as keyboard samurai has suggested, you could learn Colemak and continue to use your main layout. There is quite a lot of *subjective* evidence that this works well. I didn't bother but it's something you could consider.

Good luck.

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

simonh said:

Alternatively, as keyboard samurai has suggested, you could learn Colemak and continue to use your main layout. There is quite a lot of *subjective* evidence that this works well. I didn't bother but it's something you could consider.

I used the "Qwerty by day, Colemak by night" method the first week (now just over a year ago).  After one week, I felt I had gained enough confidence with Colemak to start using it 24/7.

Well, initially I tended to switch back to Qwerty at times "when I had to be quick" at work, but that confused me so much that it only slowed me down even further, so I just stopped doing that.  But switching by day/night (or by environment, like home/work) wasn't that difficult, I'd recommend it to anyone not confident enough to switch cold turkey, but not for longer than the initial learning period (one or two weeks).

Now, one year later, I use nothing but Colemak, and I can comfortably type at ~75 wpm, peaking at 90+.

tomlu said:

While Phynnboi is entitled to give advice, keep in mind that he does not stick with layouts very long. I believe he gave Colemak a week before giving up and moving on to an array of custom layouts.

Part of the reason for that, I've discovered, has been my approach to learning those new layouts.  It's always been an "OMG cold turkey must get up to Qwerty speed I'm never using Qwerty again!" endeavor.  So, I end up struggling trying to type everything using that layout, being worthless any time I have to sit at someone else's keyboard (which is always Qwerty), and eventually burning out and going back to Qwerty.

It's worth mentioning that I've been practicing another custom layout for the past couple of months.  The difference this time is, I'm approaching it as a hobby instead of an urgency.  I want to keep my Qwerty speed, but I also want to be able to switch to the new layout if I want.  Once or twice a week, I'll pour 30 minutes to an hour into practicing.  Whenever I get up to a natural-feeling 70 WPM, I might switch to it full time, or at least any time I need to type a lot of text.  Until then, it's no big deal; I'm quite capable and happy with Qwerty.  Perhaps this would be a good approach for you, too, Tracy?

I do think that that's a better approach for a lot of people. While you'll probably end up learning more slowly, you'll have a better time of it and more importantly not grow tired as fast. And if this is for the rest of your life you can afford to use a year to get good at it - as long as it's pleasant to do. I've seen several 'speed first!' attempts crash and burn, like you describe your experiences Phynnboi. Conversely, it seems to me that many can manage to learn other layouts while keeping their QWERTY skills if they put their minds to it. There are definite advantages to that.

Once you're on this slower pleasure ride though, why not give Colemak itself another attempt? I guess you do get a bunch of kicks out of making layouts for yourself and friends, but being with the group here has its sides too. I and a lot of others can vouch for the goodness of Colemak per se; I think it's about as good as Dvorak based on my own experiences - and I think that no layout is a LOT better than that unless you change physical key positions. United we stand stronger, for those who give a damn about that. I believe that you will come to a point where you can use Colemak on some of those 'someone else's keyboards'; as of today that's only true if they use X11 but eventually I'm guessing that it'll find its way into the Mac at least, and possibly MS too (although there'll likely have to be physical Colemak boards for sale first). You can also find ready-to-use Colemak resources on the net, such as PKL which has Colemak setups ready and can be easily downloaded and run (no install needed!) from those 'someone-else's-comps' (or the online resources like http://www.ryanheise.com/colemak.exe); if you want your own homebrew you'll have to edit text files and do without the help images, or use MSKLC and Perl to build your own layout files which is more of a hassle - and bring it all with you everywhere. Your call of course.

Last edited by DreymaR (26-Mar-2009 19:51:22)

To add my current perspective to the thread: I find I can switch easily between QWERTY and Colemak after typing the initial word in gibberish (because often I expect one or the other and can be somewhat surprised...) I suspect that my use of QWERTY on library computers and on my blackberry and now my iPhone has helped me remember my QWERTY typing skills, even as I spend a majority of my time in Colemak. As I also tend to install new operating systems, I am often forced to type in QWERTY until (if ever) I get around to installing Colemak. And when running under other people's profiles, at home, I again have to type in QWERTY since the rest of the household uses it. It really just comes down to practice -- the more you do it, the better you get at it. Take switching from BlackBerry to iPhone, for example. I was extremely fast with a blackberry, and when I switched to iPhone, I felt like keeping the BlackBerry to send emails with. But as with my switch to Colemak, it took awhile to tell my fingers -- or in this case, thumbs -- where to go, but now 8 months later, I finally can type paragraphs on the iPhone and not mind quite as much. In fact, there was a bug in the 3.0 beta software I was using that hid the keys occasionally, and I could touch-type blind on the iPhone, not even knowing where exactly the keys were, let alone what they were labelled.

Similarly, the trick is to learn to trust your fingers, and not to give up when you make mistakes, just hit the backspace key and try again. And again. You'll make it eventually. I compare such switches to switching keyboard types -- normal to ergonomic, or apple to netbook -- the keyboard is just different enough that your fingers know roughly where to go, just not quite how to get there yet. But they'll learn, as you force it. I mean, even the idea of switching from Windows to Mac, this changes keyboard shortcuts and so on, yet people manage to adapt despite this. So now Mac-Colemak feels more natural than Windows-QWERTY, but when forced into it, I'll use whatever's there. Think of the slower typing time as encouraging you to think more about what you're writing rather than something that makes you feel inferior.

Having said all of the above, I've never did try to use Dvorak, though I did have a French-Canadian keyboard, which was sufficiently different from QWERTY that to regain US punctuation layout for easier programming, I swapped to Colemak. So I guess you could say I had a reason to switch, besides the fact that my fingers and joints would hurt after a day a typing and gaming chats ...

• Index
      • General
      • Qwerty user for 40+ years wonders if neural pathways entrenched by now