• You are not logged in.

Making Colemak Profitable

• Started by ethana2
    • 1 Replies:

My next laptop (in one to two years maybe) will probably be from Apple, System76, or Zareason.  There are many, many factors that will influence my choice.

One of them is elegance.  Obviously, System76 and Zareason can't compete with Apple in terms of hardware design, since they don't design the hardware.
    ...but let's see what Apple is really doing here:
    The take a block of aluminum.  They mill it with space-age equipment.  They 're-everything' it, and somehow...  it ends up qwerty.
    Really.  130 years of braindead 'design', proudly championed on every new mac.  Whoever 're-everythinged' that failed miserably.
    How's that for elegant?

So I figure system76 could be on par as far as I'm concerned, by offering colemak.  How much would you pay for the upgrade, and when are you looking to buy a new laptop?  Perhaps we could have a bulk colemak purchase in a year or two?

Last edited by ethana2 (04-May-2009 18:35:27)
    ethana2 said:

My next laptop (in one to two years maybe) will probably be from Apple, System76, or Zareason.  There are many, many factors that will influence my choice.

One of them is elegance.  Obviously, System76 and Zareason can't compete with Apple in terms of hardware design, since they don't design the hardware.
    ...but let's see what Apple is really doing here:
    The take a block of aluminum.  They mill it with space-age equipment.  They 're-everything' it, and somehow...  it ends up qwerty.
    Really.  130 years of braindead 'design', proudly championed on every new mac.  Whoever 're-everythinged' that failed miserably.
    How's that for elegant?

So I figure system76 could be on par as far as I'm concerned, by offering colemak.  How much would you pay for the upgrade, and when are you looking to buy a new laptop?  Perhaps we could have a bulk colemak purchase in a year or two?

Installing Colemak on an Apple Macbook is one free and foolproof download.  The availability of Colemak is not reason enough to reject either the Apple or the Ubuntu laptop.

But if you do want a keyboard-based reason to whittle down your choices, check the feel of the keyboard.  Some people find Apple keyboards uncomfortable.  I am typing this (in Colemak with one mod: Capslock = Control != Backspace) on a 13" Macbook, my primary machine for over a year.  My left pinky is not very happy, but I don't know if I should blame the Macbook for that (http://evalwhen.com/tm/typing.html).