• You are not logged in.

Colemak support for Haiku/BeOS

• Started by ghen
    • 5 Replies:

I've created a Colemak keymap file for Haiku (should work for old BeOS also), and submitted it: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3944

Unfortunately not all dead keys are supported (only acute, circumflex, diaeresis, grave and tilde dead keys are defined on BeOS).
    But all special characters directly under the AltGr key (in Haiku: Option key), like €, «», ¿, ħðþ, å, ç, ß etc, are supported:

haiku_colemak.png

Last edited by ghen (11-Nov-2017 17:11:09)

It has already been included in Haiku r30814!  So now you can simply download the latest Haiku snapshot, boot it from an USB stick or in an emulator, and enjoy the Colemak experience.

I forgot to mention, it of course maps Caps Lock to Backspace, too!  The Haiku people were confused when they noticed it. ;-)

I forgot to remap the column for Ctrl-key combinations, fixed that now.  I also remapped the Caps Lock columns for those who wish to re-add a Caps Lock key to the layout.

Included in r30968.

Nice to see your efforts.

Could you describe briefly to an OS n00b what the main merits of Haiku are; for instance, in comparison with more famous contestants like (K)Ubuntu Linux?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Check Wikipedia and the Haiku website for that.  I'm not a Haiku user or advocate, for me it was just another OS to get Colemak support into. :-)

But briefly it's an open source reimplementation of BeOS, which was a multimedia oriented operating system.  It still has a small but enthousiastic user community (like Colemak?).

It's not meant to be a Linux/Windows/whatever competitor or a we'll-take-over-the-world OS, but it has a nice and snappy interface.  You can run it from an USB stick so just give it a try.  And it supports Colemak out of the box. 8-)

ghen said:

I'm not a Haiku user or advocate, for me it was just another OS to get Colemak support into.

Truly commendable. My kudos!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***